Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML for UPLOADING files ?

HTML for UPLOADING files ?

dumboo

hi there
i was looking for some way to allow the visitiors to my webpage to be able
to upload their JPEG images on my server, any suggestions on what would i be
requiring and CGI resources...i use C to create my CGI on Linux ...any
suggetions ???...(i know i shuld have done google...but i dont know wt to
search for ..)

David Dorward

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

Toby A Inkster

dumboo wrote:

> i was looking for some way to allow the visitiors to my webpage to be able
> to upload their JPEG images on my server, any suggestions on what would i be
> requiring and CGI resources...i use C to create my CGI on Linux ...any
> suggetions ???

I would suggest breaking away from C for this one. PHP makes file uploads
stupidly easy, so it's the obvious choice. If you know enough about
Apache, you can even give the PHP files names that end with ".cgi" so that
they don't look out of place on your server.

Sure C runs a little (well, a lot!) faster than PHP, but unless people are
uploading hundreds of files per minute, you're unlikely to notice much of
a slow-down.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Trevor George

dumboo wrote in message ...
> i was looking for some way to allow the visitors to my webpage
> to be able to upload their JPEG images on my server.

We used to do that, but some of the images which were uploaded were so
appalling in terms of pixels size, file size and quality, that we gave up
the idea, as it made the website look awful.

People now post the jpegs to us and we manipulate them to be web-friendly
and consistent in their presentation.

It takes a little longer but the end result is well worth it :~)