Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Newbie question

Newbie question

Chris

Hi all

I have to start with saying that I am not a programmer. Incidentally I am
requiered to set up HTML pages
on an IIS server. My problem is that I want to use a CGI program (rrdcgi for
thos who may know this) in conjunction with
a Horizontal menu described here
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm.
I mentioned the CGI word above because I want to say that the pages
generated are out of my control.

Because I want to have the menu displayed on the top frame and the pages
loaded on the bottom frame I have to add the below listed code to each page
loaded in the bottom frame. Whithout doing this the menu doesn't work any
more.

onload="javascript:{if(parent.frames[0]&&parent.frames['header'].Go)parent.f
rames['header'].Go()}">

In other words the tag <body > must become the above one.

Is there any way to do it automatically ? or to insert the code within the
HTML code generated by some external servers ?

Thak you
Cristian

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Chris:

> a Horizontal menu described here
> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm.

The demo:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nu/horizon.htm

"Your browser does not support script"

This is what ~15% of your visitors will see; those with JavaScript
disabled or not available. In other words, they will have no
navigation. Bad Idea™.

Those kinds of drop down menus are generally annoying as well. While
viewing a page, move your mouse around the page while you're reading
the content.

> I mentioned the CGI word above because I want to say that the pages
> generated are out of my control.

If you are authoring the pages, why are they out of your control?

> Because I want to have the menu displayed on the top frame and the pages
> loaded on the bottom frame I have to add the below listed code to each page
> loaded in the bottom frame. Whithout doing this the menu doesn't work any
> more.

Are you sure you want to use frames? Google for "frames are evil"

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Richard

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Quoth the raven named Chris:

>> a Horizontal menu described here
>> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm.

> The demo:
> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nu/horizon.htm

> "Your browser does not support script"

> This is what ~15% of your visitors will see; those with JavaScript
> disabled or not available. In other words, they will have no
> navigation. Bad Idea™.

Why is that the minority always outweighs the majority?
85% of ALL users have javasrcript "TURNED ON" and therefor will be able to
access the site.

You see a glass of water with 50% capacity.
You would say that the glass is "half empty", just like your brain.

Toby A Inkster

Richard wrote:

> Why is that the minority always outweighs the majority?

It doesn't. But the total outweighs the majority.

> 85% of ALL users have javasrcript "TURNED ON" and therefor will be able to
> access the site.

By creating a navigation system that requires Javascript, then 85% of
people can use your site. By creating a navigation system that doesn't
require Javascript, 100% of people can use your site.

The total (100%) outweighs the majority (85%).

The minority barely factors into the inequation.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Leif K-Brooks

Richard wrote:
> Why is that the minority always outweighs the majority?
> 85% of ALL users have javasrcript "TURNED ON" and therefor will be able to
> access the site.

They don't, no one is saying that something bad should be done to the
85% with scripting enabled. Why is it that you think 15% of people
should be barred from your site when no one needs to be?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Richard:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> Quoth the raven named Chris:

>>> a Horizontal menu described here
>>> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm.

>> The demo:
>> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nu/horizon.htm

>> "Your browser does not support script"

>> This is what ~15% of your visitors will see; those with
>> JavaScript disabled or not available. In other words, they will
>> have no navigation. Bad Idea™.

> Why is that the minority always outweighs the majority? 85% of ALL
> users have javasrcript "TURNED ON" and therefor will be able to
> access the site.

So. You're willing to lose 15% of your annual business? Fine. Send it
my way.

> You see a glass of water with 50% capacity. You would say that the
> glass is "half empty", just like your brain.

No, my brain is only 15% empty, but the parts of it that use logic and
common sense are full to the brim. Perhaps you need to wander over to
WalMart and shop for some yourself. There's a 15% rebate on Common
Sense this week.

And you are once again forgetting that your most important visitor
does not use JavaScript. The Googlebot.