Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > calendar help

calendar help

Daniel & Kathy Gibson

Hi!

I'm a student taking a web authoring class. My teacher has asked us as
part of an on-going lab to write a 3 page website for a fict. company.
Everything has to be hand coded. We aren't able to use frames for this
part of the lab. The first page is the home page, second is a company
calendar page, and the third is a contact page.

I have figured out how I'm going to code the first and third page, but
having difficulty figuring out the calendar page. I have already
sketched out the layout. There will be a banner at the top, a navigation
table on the left, a important dates link on the right, and the calendar
in the middle. The specs are that the links table be no more than 25%. I
had planned on making the left and right no more than that; probably
20%. The calendar has to be done as a table. The teacher wants the
calendar to be placed vertically down the page. I'm guessing that I will
have to make either 3 columns of 4 tables for each month or 4 columns of
3 tables. I hope this makes sense!

Is there any source code or web sites that have something similar that I
can use as a guide or can someone give me an idea of how to place the
code so that each month will be set correctly?

I would appreciate any help you guys might be able to give me.

Thanks for your help!

Kathy

--

Daniel and Kathy Gibson
http://www.katestrackshack.com

CitizenX

I have several calendars running that have generated tables, you can use
the source codeif you would like, it will save you loads of hand editing
time.

http://jvlapps.nsuok.edu:8080/cal/lab105

good luck
N8

Daniel & Kathy Gibson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi!
>
> I'm a student taking a web authoring class. My teacher has asked us as
> part of an on-going lab to write a 3 page website for a fict. company.
> Everything has to be hand coded. We aren't able to use frames for this
> part of the lab. The first page is the home page, second is a company
> calendar page, and the third is a contact page.
>
> I have figured out how I'm going to code the first and third page, but
> having difficulty figuring out the calendar page. I have already
> sketched out the layout. There will be a banner at the top, a
> navigation table on the left, a important dates link on the right, and
> the calendar in the middle. The specs are that the links table be no
> more than 25%. I had planned on making the left and right no more than
> that; probably 20%. The calendar has to be done as a table. The
> teacher wants the calendar to be placed vertically down the page. I'm
> guessing that I will have to make either 3 columns of 4 tables for
> each month or 4 columns of 3 tables. I hope this makes sense!
>
> Is there any source code or web sites that have something similar that
> I can use as a guide or can someone give me an idea of how to place
> the code so that each month will be set correctly?
>
> I would appreciate any help you guys might be able to give me.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Kathy

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Daniel & Kathy Gibson <dkgibson3
@comcast.net> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi!
>
> I'm a student taking a web authoring class. My teacher has asked us as
> part of an on-going lab to write a 3 page website for a fict. company.
> Everything has to be hand coded. We aren't able to use frames for this
> part of the lab. The first page is the home page, second is a company
> calendar page, and the third is a contact page.
>
> I have figured out how I'm going to code the first and third page, but
> having difficulty figuring out the calendar page. I have already
> sketched out the layout. There will be a banner at the top, a navigation
> table on the left, a important dates link on the right, and the calendar
> in the middle. The specs are that the links table be no more than 25%. I
> had planned on making the left and right no more than that; probably
> 20%. The calendar has to be done as a table. The teacher wants the
> calendar to be placed vertically down the page. I'm guessing that I will
> have to make either 3 columns of 4 tables for each month or 4 columns of
> 3 tables. I hope this makes sense!
>
> Is there any source code or web sites that have something similar that I
> can use as a guide or can someone give me an idea of how to place the
> code so that each month will be set correctly?
>
> I would appreciate any help you guys might be able to give me.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Kathy

I probably should keep my mouth shut, but I have a funny feeling you are
using tables for positioning. Your situation would require nesting tables,
and that's a nightmare. Tables should be used for tabular data, in this
case, the calendar.

I put something up that you can look at [URI:
http://www.arbpen.com/usenet/calendar.htm]. The CSS and HTML both validate,
tested in IE 6, Opera 7. The document is also WAI compliant.

View the source of the document carefully. View the document in a text
browser and see how it differs [URI:
http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?
url=http://www.arbpen.com/usenet/calendar.htm], hint - skip navigation
link. Also notice that print preview does not display the left navigation.

Have fun with it. I'm sure your teacher will be impressed with what can be
accomplished with CSS and valid HTML.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com