Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Set fixed sys font in listbox

Reply
Thread Tools

Set fixed sys font in listbox

 
 
harry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2004
I'm trying to use a list box to contain several pieces of info per item.

Apart from separating each bit with "," (which looks really messy due to
nothing's in line!), the only way I can think of is to set the font to fixed
sys & padd each field to a fixed width. I've created a ccs style & applied
to the listbox which works, only trouble now is as there appears no way
(absolutely staggering!!!!!) to set the width of the box, loads of the info
is not shown (chopped off)!

Is there a better/smarter way of creating a scrolling list which you can
select etc...

Any ideas?

thanks

harry


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2004
"harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm trying to use a list box to contain several pieces of info per
> item.


Stop trying, and re-analyze the original problem.

> Apart from separating each bit with "," (which looks really messy
> due to nothing's in line!), the only way I can think of is to set
> the font to fixed sys & padd each field to a fixed width. I've
> created a ccs style & applied to the listbox which works, only
> trouble now is as there appears no way (absolutely staggering!!!!!)
> to set the width of the box, loads of the info is not shown
> (chopped off)!


Sounds very confused, so confused that you forgot to specify the URL.

My crystal ball says that you are trying to present the options in a
select element so that their content are somehow tabulated. The key to
the issue is that select elements are _by definition_ form fields
containing a set of elements with _plain text_ content. If you don't
want that, don't use select.

> Is there a better/smarter way of creating a scrolling list which
> you can select etc...


Yes, write a list of links. It can be scrolled in a browser window.

If this does not address the problem, then there's something in the
problem that you didn't specify.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
harry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2004
thanks for replying so quick - what I'm trying to do is -

1. The users select various search criteria & hit a query button on one
screen.

2. The search results are displayed on another, there might be 0-50+
depending on search criteria specified.

3. The user then scrolls though the list, each line contains summary
info (5 fields), needed to locate the correct record.

4. Once found the user clicks the "edit" key which then displays the
full record's details on another page which they can update & save

thanks

harry

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9499C7C2DC6C9jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..
> "harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to use a list box to contain several pieces of info per
> > item.

>
> Stop trying, and re-analyze the original problem.
>
> > Apart from separating each bit with "," (which looks really messy
> > due to nothing's in line!), the only way I can think of is to set
> > the font to fixed sys & padd each field to a fixed width. I've
> > created a ccs style & applied to the listbox which works, only
> > trouble now is as there appears no way (absolutely staggering!!!!!)
> > to set the width of the box, loads of the info is not shown
> > (chopped off)!

>
> Sounds very confused, so confused that you forgot to specify the URL.
>
> My crystal ball says that you are trying to present the options in a
> select element so that their content are somehow tabulated. The key to
> the issue is that select elements are _by definition_ form fields
> containing a set of elements with _plain text_ content. If you don't
> want that, don't use select.
>
> > Is there a better/smarter way of creating a scrolling list which
> > you can select etc...

>
> Yes, write a list of links. It can be scrolled in a browser window.
>
> If this does not address the problem, then there's something in the
> problem that you didn't specify.
>
> --
> Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
> Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2004
harry wrote:

> Is there a better/smarter way of creating a scrolling list which you can
> select etc...


<form action="order.php">
<div style="height:2em ; width:auto ; overflow:scroll">
<table border="1" width="90%">
<thead>
<tr>
<th>&nbsp;</th>
<th>Item Number</th>
<th>Item Description</th>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td><input type="radio" name="item" value="1"></td>
<td>001</td>
<td>Foo</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="radio" name="item" value="2"></td>
<td>002</td>
<td>Bar</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><input type="radio" name="item" value="3"></td>
<td>003</td>
<td>Baz</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</div>
</form>

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2004
"harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2. The search results are displayed on another, there might be
> 0-50+ depending on search criteria specified.


OK, make them a list, or a table. You don't need a select element.

> 3. The user then scrolls though the list, each line contains
> summary info (5 fields), needed to locate the correct record.


Well, you could make it a table, if the entries share the same
structure. A tabular presentation might be useful especially if you
expect users to scan through columns to find something special.
But the way to create a table is a <table> element, and you cannot put
a <table> element inside a <select> element.

> 4. Once found the user clicks the "edit" key which then
> displays the
> full record's details on another page which they can update & save


You could include a column into the table, containing just
<input type="submit" name="some-unique-id" value="Edit">
But it sounds like you could just make the key field a normal link.
After all, it would just show a page, so a link would be suitable - and
the linked page in turn would contain a form.

> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9499C7C2DC6C9jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..


I think we know that. Please quote properly in future. Hints:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
harry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2004
thats looks more like it matey, gonna have a play!

thanks

harry


"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> harry wrote:
>
> > Is there a better/smarter way of creating a scrolling list which you can
> > select etc...

>
> <form action="order.php">
> <div style="height:2em ; width:auto ; overflow:scroll">
> <table border="1" width="90%">
> <thead>
> <tr>
> <th>&nbsp;</th>
> <th>Item Number</th>
> <th>Item Description</th>
> </tr>
> </thead>
> <tbody>
> <tr>
> <td><input type="radio" name="item" value="1"></td>
> <td>001</td>
> <td>Foo</td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td><input type="radio" name="item" value="2"></td>
> <td>002</td>
> <td>Bar</td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td><input type="radio" name="item" value="3"></td>
> <td>003</td>
> <td>Baz</td>
> </tr>
> </tbody>
> </table>
> </div>
> </form>
>
> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
> Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
creating font with fixed font size andreasbell Software 1 08-30-2010 09:39 PM
Swing Font, it's Java Font? ot native? how install new font? mttc Java 2 07-03-2009 07:29 PM
I set listbox.datasource to fileinfo() object, but no files appear in the listbox. COHENMARVIN ASP .Net 1 10-14-2005 08:19 PM
ntfs.sys stop and dump then continuous reboot after mup.sys Moon Computer Support 2 10-07-2004 10:30 PM
comp.sys.mac.games.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows,comp.databases.paradox,comp.dcom.sys.cisco . Cisco 0 06-19-2004 07:48 AM



Advertisments