Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > layer background-images disappearing

layer background-images disappearing

dalerguy_home

Hi,

Designed a site with layers. Each layer has a different bk_image...

One of the layers 'Gallery' has links to picture galleries. Each link
will open a popup window with a slideshow view script to brower the
pics. Below is the popup window script.

<!-- popup window -->
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- Begin
function NewWindow(mypage, myname, w, h, scroll) {
var winl = (screen.width - w) / 2;
var wint = (screen.height - h) / 2;
winprops =
'height='+h+',width='+w+',top='+wint+',left='+winl +',scrollbars='+scroll
+',resizable'
win = window.open(mypage, myname, winprops)
if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4) { win.window.focus(); }
}
// End -->
</script> <!-- end popup window -->

reference in body to call script:
(this.href,'name','450','450','no');return false;">Test 2002</a>

OK when I click a link to view the pics then closing the popup window
bringing me back to the main page, the background images on each layer
disappear. I have to click reload to reload the images.

Seems like i need to reload the page automaticlly upon closing the popup
windows. How do I do that?

Any help would be great... thanks

-- Frustrated Dalerguy

Steve R.

dalerguy_home wrote in message ...
> Designed a site with layers. Each layer has a different bk_image...
> Any help would be great... thanks

Can you give a URL ?

That would be *much* more helpful for us to analyse your problem.

dalerguy_home

"Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in news:v2r_b.358
$(E-Mail Removed):

> dalerguy_home wrote in message ...
>> Designed a site with layers. Each layer has a different bk_image...
>> Any help would be great... thanks

> Can you give a URL ?
>
> That would be *much* more helpful for us to analyse your problem.

no problem...

http://www.dal.ca/~mlumsde2/golf/golf_test.htm

dalerguy

Steve Pugh

"dalerguy_home" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in news:v2r_b.358
>$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> dalerguy_home wrote in message ...
>>> Designed a site with layers. Each layer has a different bk_image...
>>> Any help would be great... thanks

>> Can you give a URL ?
>>
>> That would be *much* more helpful for us to analyse your problem.
>>

>no problem...
>
>http://www.dal.ca/~mlumsde2/golf/golf_test.htm

You could try fixing all the syntax errors:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...1&profile=css2
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht.../golf_test.htm

Obvious one related to the background images would be:
background-image: url(&quot;images/main/ballincup_bk.jpg&quot;
Those should be " not &quot;

You should also think about users who have CSS enabled but JavaScript
disabled. How do they see the other layers?

Steve

dalerguy_home

Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "dalerguy_home" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>"Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>news:v2r_b.358 $(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Can you give a URL ?
>>>
>>> That would be *much* more helpful for us to analyse your problem.
>>>

>>no problem...
>>
>>http://www.dal.ca/~mlumsde2/golf/golf_test.htm

> You could try fixing all the syntax errors:
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...://www.dal.ca/

~mlu
> msde2/golf/golf_test.htm&warning=1&profile=css2
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.dal.ca/

~mlumsde2/golf/golf
> _test.htm
>
> Obvious one related to the background images would be:
> background-image: url(&quot;images/main/ballincup_bk.jpg&quot;
> Those should be " not &quot;
>
> You should also think about users who have CSS enabled but JavaScript
> disabled. How do they see the other layers?
>
> Steve

Steve, can you offer suggestions to the CSS enabled browers and
Javascript disable browers. How does one plan for these issues?

dalerguy

Toby A Inkster

dalerguy_home wrote:

> Steve, can you offer suggestions to the CSS enabled browers and
> Javascript disable browers. How does one plan for these issues?

Don't use CSS to hide the "layers" (a confusing term, if ever there was
one). Use Javascript to hide them instead.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS