Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Entirely HTML only forums?

Entirely HTML only forums?

Neil Monk

Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run from a
local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
nothing)??

Hywel

In article <GxvZb.647$(E-Mail Removed)>, neil.monk02
@__REMOVE__NO__SPAM__blueyonder.co.uk says...

> Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?
>
> Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run from a
> local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
> nothing)??

No.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

David Dorward

Neil Monk wrote:

> Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

No, HTML is a way to _structure_ data, it can't process, sort or store it.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

Neil Monk

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c161kd$kup$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil Monk wrote:
>
> > Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

> No, HTML is a way to _structure_ data, it can't process, sort or store it.
>
> --
> David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??
--
Neil

David Dorward

Neil Monk wrote:

> Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
> for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

HTML documents don't gain magic powers from being run on a new operating
system, or in the presence of a network.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

Neil Monk

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c162kj$klm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil Monk wrote:
>
> > Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above,

its
> > for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

> HTML documents don't gain magic powers from being run on a new operating
> system, or in the presence of a network.

<snip>
Don't be so ****ing sarcastic. It was just a question, and thought it
*could* make a difference.
--
Neil

Hywel

In article <37wZb.791$(E-Mail Removed)>, neil.monk02
@__REMOVE__NO__SPAM__blueyonder.co.uk says...
> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c162kj$klm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Neil Monk wrote:
> >
> > > Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above,

> its
> > > for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

> > HTML documents don't gain magic powers from being run on a new operating
> > system, or in the presence of a network.

> <snip>
> Don't be so ****ing sarcastic. It was just a question, and thought it
> *could* make a difference.

You asked if a forum could be made without scripting. Several people
told you "no". David went so far as to tell you what HTML is. To use
your sentence structure and preference, don't be so ****ing stupid. How
much clearer could he have been?

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

Leif K-Brooks

Neil Monk wrote:
> Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

No.

Andrew Glasgow

In article <LSvZb.720$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Neil Monk" <neil.monk02@__REMOVE__NO__SPAM__blueyonder.co.u k> wrote:

> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c161kd$kup$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Neil Monk wrote:
> >
> > > Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

> > No, HTML is a way to _structure_ data, it can't process, sort or store it.
> >
> > --
> > David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

> Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
> for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

You could install a web server on the w2k pro machine and run BB scripts
on it.

--
| Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
| "SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it |

sam

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Neil Monk wrote:
>
>> Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

> No.

There are however a few free forum programs (php) that don't require a
database as most do.(they just write to html)

sam