Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > vertical scrollbar problem in IE

vertical scrollbar problem in IE

Hi,

I have problem with auto-scrolling frames in IE (6.0 on Xp, but same happens
with IE 5.5 on Win2k):
If I set scrolling="auto" to frame, IE reserves space where vertical
scrollbar normally goes and doesn't render contents there when scrollbar is
hidden.

Here is frameset with left and right frames:

framset.html:
------------
<frameset cols="200,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="no">
<frame scrolling="auto" src="left.html" name="menu">
<frame scrolling="auto" src="right.html" name="main">
</frameset>

------------
left.html:
------------
bgColor="#AAFFAA">
------------
right.html:
------------
bgColor="#FFAAAA">

------------

When scrollbars are not visible, there should be no space between frames,
but IE adds blank strip (of scrollbar with) on the right side of each frame.
Opera (7.10) and Mozilla (1.6) render frameset correctly: tables on both
frames stretches to frame with, and when scrollbars goes on (due to browser
resizing) both tables shrink by scrollbar width.

Thanks,
Zoran Perak

Steve R.

Z wrote in message ...
> I have problem with auto-scrolling frames in IE (6.0 on Xp, but same

happens
> with IE 5.5 on Win2k):

If you get rid of the tables in your HTML in the left and right frames it
will work ok.

It's the tables that are causing the problem.

Steve,

I am afraid it doesn't work OK. If you put plaint text instead of table you
get the same: blank stripe on the right edge.
Problem is that browser calculates content area wrong.

I can force contents to render there only if I use absolute width (not
percentage). If I set table width="200" instead of width="100%" then I get
table span over frame width.
But It doesn't suite me because when vertical bar goes on (due to contents
grow) I cannot see whole contents (unless I use horizontal scrollbar).

news:fX0Zb.2748$(E-Mail Removed)...