Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > w3m

Toby A Inkster

I just have to ask: WHAT KIND OF FREAKY VOODOO HEX HAS THIS THING PUT ON
MY TERMINAL WINDOW?!

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/w3m

For those who aren't aware, that is a terminal window with the w3m
browser running inside. Terminal windows are not supposed to be *capable*
of displaying images. The ability to use different font colours is
considered novel.

How? How?! HOW?!?!

I know I won't be able to get to sleep tonight.

Anyway, for those of you with *nix boxes, I order you to download and
install w3m this minute! For those without, well it does run on Windows
though I doubt it's capable of performing such black magic in a DOS window.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Dylan Parry

Toby A Inkster wrote:

> For those who aren't aware, that is a terminal window with the w3m
> browser running inside. Terminal windows are not supposed to be *capable*
> of displaying images. The ability to use different font colours is
> considered novel.

Coloured fonts are really nice in a terminal window. I especially like the
little green "pass" labels when re/starting daemons.

> How? How?! HOW?!?!

I don't know

> I know I won't be able to get to sleep tonight.

Me neither. My Konsole isn't supposed to have animated banner ads in it

--
Dylan Parry

Toby A Inkster wrote:

> I just have to ask: WHAT KIND OF FREAKY VOODOO HEX HAS THIS THING PUT ON
> MY TERMINAL WINDOW?!
>
> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/w3m
>
> For those who aren't aware, that is a terminal window with the w3m
> browser running inside. Terminal windows are not supposed to be *capable*
> of displaying images. The ability to use different font colours is
> considered novel.
>
> How? How?! HOW?!?!
>
> I know I won't be able to get to sleep tonight.
>
> Anyway, for those of you with *nix boxes, I order you to download and
> install w3m this minute! For those without, well it does run on Windows
> though I doubt it's capable of performing such black magic in a DOS
> window.

Don't know if it's documented, but in the source code there's an
'image.c' file whose purpose is to /* display image */, and with
functions like openImgdisplay().

--
cheers m at http://www.mbstevens.com/

Dylan Parry

Toby A Inkster wrote:

> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/w3m

Incidentally, I like the look of that resource monitor on your desktop,
what is the program called?

--
Dylan Parry

Hardeep Rakhra

Dylan Parry wrote:

> Incidentally, I like the look of that resource monitor on your desktop,
> what is the program called?

I was gonna say that. It's very pretty isn't it. Almost makes me want
to give linux another go :O|

Hardeep.

Neil Marshall

Toby A Inkster wrote:

>I just have to ask: WHAT KIND OF FREAKY VOODOO HEX HAS THIS THING PUT ON
>MY TERMINAL WINDOW?!
>
>http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/w3m
>
>For those who aren't aware, that is a terminal window with the w3m
>browser running inside. Terminal windows are not supposed to be *capable*
>of displaying images. The ability to use different font colours is
>considered novel.

Is this any different from xmlterm?
http://xmlterm.sourceforge.net/shots/xls-icons.html
http://xmlterm.sourceforge.net/shots/prompt.html

http://xmlterm.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

Leif K-Brooks

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> I just have to ask: WHAT KIND OF FREAKY VOODOO HEX HAS THIS THING PUT ON
> MY TERMINAL WINDOW?!
>
> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/w3m

The magic of PNG-8. PNG-24 is nice for some things, but a screen shot
should *not* be 283KB!

--
$_=" 5_2 8_2\n 3/*3 \\ 4/*3 \\\n / *7\\/*7 \\\n| *17 |\n \\ *15 /\n 3".
"\\ *11 /\n 5\\ *7 /\n 7\\ *** /\n 9\\*/";while(/(.)([0-9]*)/gs){print$1

Toby A Inkster

Dylan Parry wrote:

> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>
>> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/w3m

> Incidentally, I like the look of that resource monitor on your desktop,
> what is the program called?

http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/

in particular:

http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/ca...p&gd_app_id=38

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Toby A Inkster

Neil Marshall wrote:

> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>
>>I just have to ask: WHAT KIND OF FREAKY VOODOO HEX HAS THIS THING PUT ON
>>MY TERMINAL WINDOW?!
>>
>>http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/w3m
>>
>>For those who aren't aware, that is a terminal window with the w3m
>>browser running inside. Terminal windows are not supposed to be *capable*
>>of displaying images. The ability to use different font colours is
>>considered novel.

> Is this any different from xmlterm?

Very different. XMLterm is a normal X application, so expected to be able
to draw graphics. w3m is a command-line program, running inside an aterm.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS