Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to make a CSS navbar that colors the page you're on

How to make a CSS navbar that colors the page you're on

Paul Furman

Changing hover color or background color is easy on a navbar but what
about making that highlight color stick as long as you are on the page?
Or like the tabbed style that looks like folder tabs. Hmm, I guess this
is a job for PHP server side scripting? I assume all those expanding
folder nav bars are java powered. Even if I made such a thing with PHP,
it would make a mess reloading the page every time something changed.

Thoughts?

Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:

> Changing hover color or background color is easy on a navbar but what
> about making that highlight color stick as long as you are on the page?
> Or like the tabbed style that looks like folder tabs. Hmm, I guess this
> is a job for PHP server side scripting? I assume all those expanding
> folder nav bars are java powered. Even if I made such a thing with PHP,
> it would make a mess reloading the page every time something changed.
>
> Thoughts?

I found this from Toby's link:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/200.../pure_css_tabs
I'm studying...

Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:

> http://diveintomark.org/archives/200.../pure_css_tabs
> I'm studying...

That involves reconstructing the navbar in a custom way for each page
visited. The description sounds like it says it uses the active property
but it's just assigning a different style to the tab that represents the
current page. It could as easily be <strong>this page</strong>.

I guess this should have been obvious.