Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > css layout query

css layout query

Tom

Hi
I am working on the following layout for a site.
http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif

The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far as the 3
boxes.
I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able to apply any
of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had any pointers I
would be very grateful
Tom

Barry Pearson

Tom wrote:
> Hi
> I am working on the following layout for a site.
> http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif
>
> The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far as the
> 3 boxes.
> I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able to
> apply any of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had
> any pointers I would be very grateful

It appears that you are trying to put 3 fixed-width columns into a fixed-width
container? If so, one technique is to float them all into place (perhaps all
of them left, say). In fact, variants on the following work even if you are
not using a fixed-width container.

Have a look at the following. It isn't exactly what you are doing, but it
shows the effect of floating 3 fixed-width columns into place. (Ignore the
pink box at the top).
http://www.barry.pearson.name/articl...s_fixed_00.htm

Another method would involve (say) floating a leftbar to the left, floating a
rightbar to the right, and letting the centre column go into place using
normal flow, using large left and right margins so that it remained as a
column if it was longer than the leftbar and rightbar.

I would not personally try to do what you want using absolute positioning,
because I don't have sufficient knowledge to make the footer follow the 3
columns properly in that case.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

rf

news:c0splt$pb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I am working on the following layout for a site.
> http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif
>
> The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far as the 3
> boxes.
> I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able to apply

any
> of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had any pointers I
> would be very grateful

A picture of the page in question is almost, no... is, useless.

URL?

Cheers
Richard.

OllimaX

Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:08:50 +0100:

> Hi
> I am working on the following layout for a site.
> http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif
>
> The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far as the 3
> boxes.
> I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able to apply
> any
> of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had any pointers I
> would be very grateful
> Tom

Look at here:
http://www.glish.com/css/
Olli

--
email : ollimantyranta"boing"sunpoint"boing"net

Chet

news:c0splt$pb$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi
| I am working on the following layout for a site.
| http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif
|
| The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far
as the 3
| boxes.
| I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able
to apply any
| of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had any
pointers I
| would be very grateful
| Tom

You might have a look at the first four samples I've got here

http://webpages.charter.net/rwtest/samples/index.htm

They all have three columns with a header and footer. Also, they
have a link towards the top for a copy of the external css file
in .txt format.

hth
--
Chet
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (remove NO.....SPAM)

CSS: a simple layout won't work in CSS liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com HTML 29 03-21-2008 03:46 PM
Css-Layout vs Table-Layout Habib HTML 15 06-20-2006 05:11 AM
Table-based layout to CSS layout Guybrush Threepwood HTML 20 06-11-2006 11:12 AM