Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how can i make radio buttons bolder when printing?

how can i make radio buttons bolder when printing?

James

how can i make radio buttons bolder when printing?

Michael Wilcox

James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> how can i make radio buttons bolder when printing?

The rendering - and printing - of the radio buttons is the choice of the
browser, not the author.
--
Michael Wilcox
mjwilco at yahoo dot com

Jukka K. Korpela

"James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> how can i make radio buttons bolder when printing?

I don't think you can, except in the sense that you could make them
bigger, e.g.

<input type="radio" class="radio" ...>

with CSS code

@media print { input.radio { width: 2em; height; 2em; display: block;
float: left; } }

But why would you do that? HTML forms aren't really suitable for
creating paper forms; they are interfaces to online services.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Eric Bohlman

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> But why would you do that? HTML forms aren't really suitable for
> creating paper forms; they are interfaces to online services.

Yep, my first thought was "how do you use a radio button on paper"? [1]
Then it occurred to me that someone *might* be using the image of the radio
button in a "read-only" fashion to indicate which of several conditions
applied. Most of the time there has to be a better way to do that. It's
possible, for example, that the OP was envisioning someone filling out a
form and then printing it before submitting it in order to have a written
record of what he had done; if that's important, though, the script that
processes the form should really be returning a printable confirmation
page.

[1] My second thought was that in J.K. Rowling's world, parchment with form
controls and dynamic display is probably rather commonplace. This led to
the third thought, which was to wonder if the _Daily Prophet_ and the
_Quibbler_ have pop-up ads, and whether there are spells to block them.
Which led to the fourth thought, which was to wonder if such publications
ever tell their readers that they need to "upgrade" their wands in order to
read them; "This scroll requires an Ollivander's wand, but you don't have
one."