Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > quirks mode and IE5 vs IE6

quirks mode and IE5 vs IE6

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9s_Sedano?=

Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Eric Bohlman wrote:
>

>>And it's important to remember that many viewers may be using IE5 because
>>it's what's installed on the machine that they're using and because the
>>machine isn't their *personal* machine, they *can't* upgrade the browser.

> Sure. But conversely, it may be important to remember that there will
> be viewers using IE6 because _that's_ what's installed on their
> machine. So designing a page "to" the bugs of IE5 (which might have
> been corrected in later versions, but if the author doesn't have one
> then he won't necessarily know that) is not the answer, either.
>
> Unfortunately, it's a lot of fuss to maintain more than one version of
> Win IE. In fact, due to security concerns we get into trouble if we
> run old versions of IE on our network: updating to the latest MS
> fixes isn't an option - it's a requirement, in this context.

Actually is very easy to have three versions of IE in the same Windows
installation (I have 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0). I had a page where it was
explained and had direct links to standalone IE5.01 and 5.5... I'll try
to find it and will post it later.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9s_Sedano?=

Here it is: http://www.skyzyx.com/archives/000094.php

Enjoy it

Alan J. Flavell

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Andrés Sedano wrote:

> Here it is: http://www.skyzyx.com/archives/000094.php

It says:

Parse error: parse error in
/home/skyzyxco/public_html/refer/refer.php on line 37

when I try to access it.

Jeff Thies

"Andrés Sedano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0lrat$fsq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here it is: http://www.skyzyx.com/archives/000094.php
>
> Enjoy it

I would, if I didn't get this:

Parse error: parse error in /home/skyzyxco/public_html/refer/refer.php on
line 37

Brian

David Dorward wrote:

> IE6 has fewer bugs

But, unfortunately, "fewer bugs" in an updated IE/Win does not mean
that it has a subset of bugs from earlier versions. Rather, it has
some of the earlier bugs, and some entirely new ones.

--
Brian (follow directions in my address to email me)
http://www.tsmchughs.com/

Jeff Thies

> > And it's important to remember that many viewers may be using IE5
because
> > it's what's installed on the machine that they're using and because the
> > machine isn't their *personal* machine, they *can't* upgrade the

browser.

> Sure. But conversely, it may be important to remember that there will
> be viewers using IE6 because _that's_ what's installed on their
> machine. So designing a page "to" the bugs of IE5 (which might have
> been corrected in later versions, but if the author doesn't have one
> then he won't necessarily know that) is not the answer, either.

You always have flexibility in making legitimate styles.

If you know something is going to cause trouble, then don't use it. Child
selectors springs to mind. Don't design for the bugs, design so the bugs
never come into play. There's more than one way to do it, in Perl and HTML.

I really think if it works in Opera7, NS7.1 and Safari (Mac), you have a
pretty good case for it working in IE6, more so than it "working" in IE5
windows.

Jeff

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9s_Sedano?=

Jeff Thies wrote:
> "Andrés Sedano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0lrat$fsq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Here it is: http://www.skyzyx.com/archives/000094.php
>>
>>Enjoy it

> I would, if I didn't get this:
>
> Parse error: parse error in /home/skyzyxco/public_html/refer/refer.php on
> line 37

http://www.insert-title.com/web_desi...s/dev/multi_IE

Another one (this works, I've just downloaded the two files again)

Cheers