Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Place Overlapping Division on Top

Place Overlapping Division on Top

Dennis M. Marks

I have created a menu within a division that is initially invisible.
When I click a spot on the screen it toggles between visible and
invisible. That part works fine. My problem is that in Netscape parts
of it appear under other divisions. In IE it works fine. How can I
force it to the top. Due to the way my page is constructed it must be
the first division created. I know that if it was last it would
probably work.

--
Dennis M. Marks
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

Dennis M. Marks

I have read the following message from "Dennis M. Marks"
<(E-Mail Removed)>
and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.

The writer said:
> I have created a menu within a division that is initially invisible.
> When I click a spot on the screen it toggles between visible and
> invisible. That part works fine. My problem is that in Netscape parts
> of it appear under other divisions. In IE it works fine. How can I
> force it to the top. Due to the way my page is constructed it must be
> the first division created. I know that if it was last it would
> probably work.
>
> --
> Dennis M. Marks
> http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/
> Replace domain.invalid with dcsi.net

and my reply is:
After further investigation I noticed that the division is opening
under a form select menu not another division. I still need a way to
force it to the top.

--
Dennis M. Marks
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/
Replace domain.invalid with dcsi.net

Eric Bohlman

"Dennis M. Marks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:060220041536517132%(E-Mail Removed):

> After further investigation I noticed that the division is opening
> under a form select menu not another division. I still need a way to
> force it to the top.

Somebody (I forget whom) posted something very much like this to another
group in the last few days (if it was in fact you, then shame on you for
multiposting). The answer was that many browsers draw form elements using
standard controls from the OS's windowing system, and those controls have a
higher precedence in the windowing system's z-order (as opposed to the
browser canvas' z-order) than anything the browser draws, so they always
come out on top of anything the browser can draw.

Dennis M. Marks

> > I have created a menu within a division that is initially invisible.
> > When I click a spot on the screen it toggles between visible and
> > invisible. That part works fine. My problem is that in Netscape parts
> > of it appear under other divisions. In IE it works fine. How can I
> > force it to the top. Due to the way my page is constructed it must be
> > the first division created. I know that if it was last it would
> > probably work.
> >

> After further investigation I noticed that the division is opening
> under a form select menu not another division. I still need a way to
> force it to the top.

Well I partially solved the problem. Using z-index:10 in css forces the
division to the top. Now my only problem is that a single horizontal
scrool bar on a form select box appears on top. Just the slider,
nothing else. How can I turn the horizontal scroll off but leave the
vertical scroll on?

--
Dennis M. Marks
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/
Replace domain.invalid with dcsi.net

Steve R.

Dennis M. Marks wrote in message ...
> I have created a menu ....

Nothing to do with your query, BUT on this page there is no scrollbar for
the long results list in the right-hand iframe, so it's not possible to
read the results at the bottom.

Here ...
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/amtrak.html