Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Form that results in a URL

Form that results in a URL

Christopher Grenness

>> You'd be much better off doing it server side however, say with PHP. Don't
>> think the above JS would work in Mozilla, for starters, or many other non-IE
>> browsers.

>Better off doing it server side anyway, because it won't do anything for
>those with Javascript disabled/unavailable.

Thanks, guys.
This is actually supposed to work mainly on PDAs, so I guess JS
abilities are limited.
How do I do it server side?
Or is that way too complicated for a novice like myself?

Thanks again!

/Christopher

--
To reply via email, please use "grenness" instead of "kwjhdwedjw"
and ".com" instead of ".invalid"

Mark Parnell

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:25:55 GMT, Christopher Grenness
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> How do I do it server side?
> Or is that way too complicated for a novice like myself?

You would need the server to support a server-side scripting language,
e.g. PHP, ASP, Perl, CGI, etc.

PHP is supposed to be very easy for a "novice" to pick up. What you want
wouldn't be particularly complicated. In fact, if you ask nicely,
someone might even bash something quick out for you.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Jeff Thies

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t341h0jp83xa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:25:55 GMT, Christopher Grenness
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
> > How do I do it server side?
> > Or is that way too complicated for a novice like myself?

Here's perl

#!/usr/bin/perl

use CGI;
my $query=new CGI;
my $page_path=$query->param('my_rolldown');

print $query->redirect($page_path);

the rolldown would look like this:

<select name="my_rolldown">
<option value="/some_path/some_page.html">page 1</option>

That's a bit too simple, but will work. PHP and other languages will also be
easy. That will work on almost any server and any web browser.

Jeff