Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Semi OT - Mozilla FireBird

Semi OT - Mozilla FireBird

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

I use version 0.7 and have pop ups disabled, but not adverts themselves.
However, whenever I visit a website with say, banner ads, or ads in the
corners of pages, it asks me to enter a username and password.

I have to click "Cancel", the box goes away, and I am left with the
image-unavailable icon. This is incredibly annoying because I have to
click "Cancel" upto 10 times on some sites (one for each ad)

Internet Explorer has this automatically removed, I used to have the
same problem with that, but in IE I dont get asked, the images are
simply removed.

Now, obviously I have some sort of third party software installed here,
but I do not know what it is! I don't remember installing it - does
anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?

thanks.

Richard

Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

> I use version 0.7 and have pop ups disabled, but not adverts themselves.
> However, whenever I visit a website with say, banner ads, or ads in the
> corners of pages, it asks me to enter a username and password.

> I have to click "Cancel", the box goes away, and I am left with the
> image-unavailable icon. This is incredibly annoying because I have to
> click "Cancel" upto 10 times on some sites (one for each ad)

> Internet Explorer has this automatically removed, I used to have the
> same problem with that, but in IE I dont get asked, the images are
> simply removed.

> Now, obviously I have some sort of third party software installed here,
> but I do not know what it is! I don't remember installing it - does
> anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
> it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?

> thanks.

"Spybot search and destroy"

When the box comes up again, press "ctrl+alt+del" and see what progs are
running.
If no oddball one shows up, it's most likely a setting you need to change.

Post one of the websites and I'll check it with my IE 6.

Craig

What site?

Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

> I use version 0.7 and have pop ups disabled, but not adverts themselves.
> However, whenever I visit a website with say, banner ads, or ads in the
> corners of pages, it asks me to enter a username and password.
>
> I have to click "Cancel", the box goes away, and I am left with the
> image-unavailable icon. This is incredibly annoying because I have to
> click "Cancel" upto 10 times on some sites (one for each ad)
>
> Internet Explorer has this automatically removed, I used to have the
> same problem with that, but in IE I dont get asked, the images are
> simply removed.
>
> Now, obviously I have some sort of third party software installed here,
> but I do not know what it is! I don't remember installing it - does
> anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
> it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?
>
> thanks.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Richard wrote:

> Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
>
> > I use version 0.7 and have pop ups disabled, but not adverts themselves.
> > However, whenever I visit a website with say, banner ads, or ads in the
> > corners of pages, it asks me to enter a username and password.

> > I have to click "Cancel", the box goes away, and I am left with the
> > image-unavailable icon. This is incredibly annoying because I have to
> > click "Cancel" upto 10 times on some sites (one for each ad)

> > Internet Explorer has this automatically removed, I used to have the
> > same problem with that, but in IE I dont get asked, the images are
> > simply removed.

> > Now, obviously I have some sort of third party software installed here,
> > but I do not know what it is! I don't remember installing it - does
> > anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
> > it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?

> > thanks.

> "Spybot search and destroy"
>

> When the box comes up again, press "ctrl+alt+del" and see what progs are
> running.

I tried that

> If no oddball one shows up, it's most likely a setting you need to change.

It was in Mozilla, IE, Netscape, FireBird and Opera. And I haven't even
used Opera in months.

www.startrek.com for one
www.yahoo.com
www.anything with an advert in it.com

--
_______________________________________
/\ \
\_| Legalise today |
| http://www.norml.org |
| |
| | |
| |.| |
|web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
|dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
|.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
|. |\./| .|
| \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
| \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
| \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
| \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
| \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
| \ .\ |.| /. / |
| _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
| - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
| __________________________________|__
\_/____________________________________/

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Craig wrote:

> What site?

*any* site with an ad in it.

www.startrek.com for one.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

> Craig wrote:
>
>> What site?

> *any* site with an ad in it.
>
> www.startrek.com for one.

www.dancingborg.co.uk/password.gif
is what i get.

Craig

Not for me
Probably spyware

Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

> Craig wrote:
>
>> What site?

> *any* site with an ad in it.
>
> www.startrek.com for one.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Craig wrote:

> Not for me

I know it doesnt happen to other people, that's how I know there's a
problem

It isn't spyware, latest Adaware picks nothing up.

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:33:41 +0000, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> When the box comes up again, press "ctrl+alt+del" and see what progs are
>> running.

> I tried that

And...? Check the processes, rather than just the programs.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Mark Parnell wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:33:41 +0000, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
>>Richard wrote:
>>

>>>When the box comes up again, press "ctrl+alt+del" and see what progs are
>>>running.

>>I tried that
>>

> And...?

Wel if it worked, I wouldn't have posted here lol

> Check the processes, rather than just the programs.

Already done with no result