Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > formatting text problem

formatting text problem

hannibal

Hi

when i click on View < Text Zoom (200%) in this web site:
http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/ using netscape, i connot see the hole text in the
menu frame!
my be the solution to use image text buttons.
any idea how to do that?
thank you

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:22:22 -0500, "hannibal" <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> Hi

G'day.

> when i click on View < Text Zoom (200%) in this web site:
> http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/ using netscape, i connot see the hole text in the
> menu frame!

1) Don't use frames.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzo...eb/frames.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
frames")

2) When Javascript is disabled, there *is* no menu.

3) I'd say it's probably something to do with the absolute positioning,
but your design needs rethinking anyway.

> my be the solution to use image text buttons.

So that no one can read it, instead of just those who use IE? You're
trying to fix the wrong problem.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

rf

"hannibal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l5CRb.145085$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi
>
> when i click on View < Text Zoom (200%) in this web site:
> http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/ using netscape, i connot see the hole text in

the
> menu frame!

A common problem with frames, among the many others. Ditch the frames.

> my be the solution to use image text buttons.

An extremely bad idea. Not only are text images not resizable they are
usually of very bad quality.

I also notice you have specified font size in pixels, and a ridiculously
small number of them. I like my font around 14 to 16 pixels high, not 10.
Your site is unusable for me.

> any idea how to do that?

Convert the page to a simple CSS layout and specify the width of the nav bar
in ems. That way the nav bar will expand with the font size.

Cheers
Richard.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named hannibal:

> when i click on View < Text Zoom (200%)

You probably need to set a width in ems for the menu division. Oh
wait, it's a frame.

> in this web site:
> http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/ using netscape, i connot see the hole
> text in the menu frame!

I cannot see any menu at all. What do you plan to do for the ~15% of
your visitors who don't have JavaScript available?

http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/javaScripts/browserCheck.js
...or maybe that my browser is not in your list.

> my be the solution to use image text
> buttons. any idea how to do that? thank you

Maybe the solution is to use CSS-styled regular text for links instead
of that large script you want to execute?

http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/dynHTML/mainMenuHaut.html
http://w3.uqo.ca/d_info/javaScripts/initMenus.js

Why do you make it so difficult?

--