Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Timer

Timer

Dr. Jason Gastrich

Hi,

I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If the timer
could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in visitors spend, then
that would be great.

Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

Jason

brucie

in post: <news:FKWPb.4988$(E-Mail Removed)>
"Dr. Jason Gastrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

not possible

--
brucie - i usenet nude

Nicolai P. Zwar

brucie wrote:

> in post: <news:FKWPb.4988$(E-Mail Removed)>
> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>>I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

> not possible

Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
original poster implied, it is not only possible but (probably) easily
done. Depends on how they log-in and out, though, and it's of course not
really an HTML question.

--
Nicolai Zwar -- http://www.nicolaizwar.com

"I don't post off-topic digests. I consistently ask the antagonists
what their postings have to do with classical music, which happens to be
the topic of this newsgroup."
(Dr. David J. Tholen, Astronomer, in his "Antagonists Digest, Volume
2452972, posted in rec.music.classical)

brucie

in post: <news:bupeib$blp$(E-Mail Removed)>
"Nicolai P. Zwar" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>>I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

>> not possible

> Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
> original poster implied, it is not only possible

it is not

> but (probably) easily done.

it is not

> Depends on how they log-in and out, though,

it does not

--
brucie - i usenet nude

Jay

"Dr. Jason Gastrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FKWPb.4988$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If the

timer
> could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in visitors spend,

then
> that would be great.
>
> Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and see the
activity level by length of visit and activity level by the hour.

(what does free.christians have to do with this?)

- J

Ariaan

Jay wrote:
> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FKWPb.4988$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If
>> the timer could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in
>> visitors spend, then that would be great.
>>
>> Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

> As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and
> see the activity level by length of visit and activity level by the
> hour.
>
> (what does free.christians have to do with this?)
>
> - J

He's in it. He posts from there.

And your solution is probably better than the other one, since this would
avoid the problem of people logging in but not logging out.

Ariaan

brucie

in post: <news:f7XPb.9914$(E-Mail Removed)>
"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

> As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and see the
> activity level by length of visit and activity level by the hour.

You can't tell the identity of your readers.
You can't tell how many visitors you've had.
You can't tell how many visits you've had.
Cookies don't solve these problems.
You can't follow a person's path through your site.
You often can't tell where they entered your site, or where they found
out about you from.
You can't tell how they left your site, or where they went next.
You can't tell how long people spent reading each page.
You can't tell how long people spent on your site.
http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html

Why web usage statistics are (worse than) meaningless
http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/webstats/

--
brucie - i usenet nude

Dr. Jason Gastrich

Jay wrote:
> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FKWPb.4988$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site. If
>> the timer could keep track of the amounts of time that logged in
>> visitors spend, then that would be great.
>>
>> Any ideas? Any freeware out there that could do this?

> As an alternative you could purchase web log analyzing software and
> see the activity level by length of visit and activity level by the
> hour.
>
> (what does free.christians have to do with this?)
>
> - J

Thanks for your input. My CPanel has awstats, so I could track time by IP
address, but this is a last resort.

I created the free.christians newsgroup and simply cross-posted to the group
where I frequent.

JG

Dr. Jason Gastrich

Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:
> brucie wrote:
>
>> in post: <news:FKWPb.4988$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> "Dr. Jason Gastrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>

>>> I need a way to time visitors that come and log in to my site.

>> not possible

> Not in HTML, true, but if his visitors actually have to log in, as the
> original poster implied, it is not only possible but (probably) easily
> done. Depends on how they log-in and out, though, and it's of course
> not really an HTML question.

Thanks, Nicolai.

Is this a java question? Can you point me in the right direction?

JG

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Dr. Jason Gastrich scribbled in the mud:

> I created the free.christians newsgroup and simply cross-posted to the
> group where I frequent.

Why?

--
Duende