Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > align top in a table

align top in a table

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

Hi,

How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width on
large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but not
as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table, width all
free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

Sindre

--
Sender med M2, Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram: http://www.opera.com/

William Tasso

Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width
> on large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table
> but not as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the
> table, width all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really trying to
achieve? URL?

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:47:35 -0000, skrev William Tasso
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really
> trying to
> achieve? URL?

No, sorry, Of course not. I tried to explain as easy as I could. But ok. I
will use another example: If I want to use a table to display a form. I
could use col1 to display info and row2 to display input boxes. If one box
is a textField of 5 rows I have to use rowspan=6 to display the textfield.
And at the top and bottom there is free space. I want all the space to be
at the bottom.

Sindre

Richard

William Tasso wrote:

> Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width
>> on large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table
>> but not as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the
>> table, width all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

> a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really trying
> to achieve? URL?

Can you just a snswer a simple question with a simple answer for once
without getting your dandruff all ruffled?
The person just wants to know how it for a single cell. He may have a table
with a thousand cells in it for all we know.

Richard

Sindre Hiåsen wrote:

> Hi,

> How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width on
> large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but not
> as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table, width
> all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

> Sindre

This centers the image at the top of the cell.
valign = top | middle | bottom
align = left | center | right

By using a "style" you can define a background image for the entire table
and position it as desired.

> --
> Sender med M2, Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram:
> http://www.opera.com/

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Sindre_Hi=E5sen?=

På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:25:11 -0600, skrev Richard <anonymous@127.000>:

> Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width

> on
> > large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but

> not
> > as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table, width
> > all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

> > Sindre

> This centers the image at the top of the cell.
> valign = top | middle | bottom
> align = left | center | right
>
> By using a "style" you can define a background image for the entire table
> and position it as desired.

Thank you, that solved many questions. I have one more then. If I put a
table inside another table i can't use valign. Is there some way to
vertical align this to the top. Of course I don't need to nest tables but
I often use it. One example is that I have a table in the main page and
inside it I want to include a header file which also is a table and a
footer and content are tables to. I know there is other ways to display
this information but can it be solved width tables. In short is there a
way o valign a table inside another table?

Sindre

Richard

Sindre Hiåsen wrote:

> På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:25:11 -0600, skrev Richard <anonymous@127.000>:

>> Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
>>
> >> Hi,

> >> How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table width

>> on
> >> large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as the table but

>> not
> >> as high. what I want is to display this at the top of the table,
> >> width all free space at the bottom. Is this possible?

> >> Sindre

>> This centers the image at the top of the cell.
>> valign = top | middle | bottom
>> align = left | center | right
>>
>> By using a "style" you can define a background image for the entire
>> table and position it as desired.

> Thank you, that solved many questions. I have one more then. If I put a
> table inside another table i can't use valign. Is there some way to
> vertical align this to the top. Of course I don't need to nest tables but
> I often use it. One example is that I have a table in the main page and
> inside it I want to include a header file which also is a table and a
> footer and content are tables to. I know there is other ways to display
> this information but can it be solved width tables. In short is there a
> way o valign a table inside another table?

> Sindre

This might be of help to you to understand how tables work.

http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/tables.htm

Has a very good graphical description of what you can do with tables.

William Tasso

Richard wrote:
> William Tasso wrote:
>
> > Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> How can I use the whole table? As a example: If I make a table

> width >> on large cell. into it I put on item which are as large as
> the table >> but not as high. what I want is to display this at the
> top of the >> table, width all free space at the bottom. Is this
> possible?
>

> > a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really

> trying > to achieve? URL?
>
> Can you just a snswer a simple question with a simple answer for once

Richard, I have, so far, stayed out of the nonsense you have generated in
this group and elsewhere.

> without getting your dandruff all ruffled?

Your attempts to bring every discussion down to an issue or personalities
are becoming just too much of a bore. So much so that it's been months
since I bothered to scan any thread started by you.

> The person just wants to know how it for a single cell. He may have a
> table with a thousand cells in it for all we know.

Get a life - you really are a most pathetic example of the human condition.
Your incessant whinging appears to know no bounds. If you used half as much
energy to perfect the craft of site building as you use for moaning your
skills at the former would give you less cause for the latter.

I should think you would improve your life considerably were you to add my
nic to your kill filter.

HTH Good day to you (HAND)

Toodle-pip
--

Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
> På Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:47:35 -0000, skrev William Tasso
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> a single item rarely (if ever) needs a table. what are you really
>> trying to
>> achieve? URL?

> No, sorry, Of course not. I tried to explain as easy as I could. But
> ok. I will use another example: If I want to use a table to display a
> form. I could use col1 to display info and row2 to display input
> boxes.

ok - a two column table.

> If one box is a textField of 5 rows I have to use rowspan=6 to
> display the textfield.

doubtful - depends on what else you're doing with the table.

> And at the top and bottom there is free space.
> I want all the space to be at the bottom.

valign="top" on the td element should do it.

There has been considerable discussion in this group (and elsewhere) whether
an input form is a suitable candidate for table markup. I'm sure you'll
find many references in the archive at http://groups.google.com

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Leif K-Brooks

Sindre Hiåsen wrote:
> If I put a table inside another table

http://dorward.me.uk/www/nested/

left align within centre align Paul Lautman HTML 3 03-03-2006 02:45 PM
text-align vs align tshad HTML 1 06-23-2005 10:29 PM
How to align right a table based on another table created dinamically? Leonardo Gangemi ASP .Net 0 04-07-2004 01:11 PM
how to Align text left & vertical align middle Kay ASP .Net 2 07-25-2003 08:32 AM

Advertisments