Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 2 colour line drawing image format

2 colour line drawing image format

Spartanicus

Is there an image format suitable for the web that is as efficient
regarding file size as 2 colour (1 bit/2 bit?) tiff images?

Source file: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/2-colour.tif ~17k

Saving it as a 2 colour png I can't get below ~34k after having used
pngcrunch on it (ran it sans options). Similar result with a 2 colour
gif.

--
Spartanicus

Spartanicus wrote:

> Is there an image format suitable for the web that is as efficient
> regarding file size as 2 colour (1 bit/2 bit?) tiff images?
>
> Source file: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/2-colour.tif ~17k
>
> Saving it as a 2 colour png I can't get below ~34k after having used
> pngcrunch on it (ran it sans options). Similar result with a 2 colour
> gif.

gif or png is still the way to go. That image could be quite readable at
1/2 the width and height -- yet it will be about 1/4 the download size.
I use a lot of 1 bit images, and they are as kind to bandwidth as an
image can be. If you give them transparency, you can use
a colored background to good effect.
--
cheers m mbstevens.com

Steve R.

Spartanicus wrote in message ...
> Is there an image format suitable for the web that is as efficient
> regarding file size as 2 colour (1 bit/2 bit?) tiff images?

Here it is, albeit resized to 900 pixels wide, saved as a 2-colour gif at
15K
http://www.myby.myby.co.uk/images/Spartanicus.gif

Just curious ... What bike or scooter is it from ?

Paul Furman

Spartanicus wrote:

> Is there an image format suitable for the web that is as efficient
> regarding file size as 2 colour (1 bit/2 bit?) tiff images?
>
> Source file: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/2-colour.tif ~17k
>
> Saving it as a 2 colour png I can't get below ~34k after having used
> pngcrunch on it (ran it sans options). Similar result with a 2 colour
> gif.

Wow, I had no idea a tiff could be so compact! It opened in quicktime
viewer for me which works well and is not that strange of a plugin
though you could offer another set as gifs if people didn't want to go
there. I've also seen digital image library browsers for universities
that used tiffs in some sort of viewer applet window... maybe a java thing?