Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Beyond HTML

Beyond HTML

EYEBUZZ

Hello,

I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing I'd like to
do is be able to do is change a part of a web page without having to open up
all the pages. For a very simple example...at the bottom of each of my pages
is a copyright notice and so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date
to the new year....currently, in HTML, I have to open all pages and make the
change....I'd like to just open one file and make the change (footer.txt ... or
such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me out?

Thanks,

Tim

PeterMcC

EYEBUZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing
> I'd like to do is be able to do is change a part of a web page
> without having to open up all the pages. For a very simple
> example...at the bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and
> so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date to the new
> year....currently, in HTML, I have to open all pages and make the
> change....I'd like to just open one file and make the change
> (footer.txt ... or such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me
> out?

Ever so easy with SSI.

http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, EYEBUZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly typed:

[...]
> example...at the bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and
> so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date to the new
> year

You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the date
the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the original
date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone copied it in
2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page stating "copyright
2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they can claim their page was
created before yours!

IANAL

Hope that helps,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Take the dog out!

Paul Furman

PeterMcC wrote:

> Ever so easy with SSI.
>
> http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

How do I see this when working locally? I'd have to set up an apache
server & browse to //localfile or something like that? No way to preview
as I edit in an editor like 1stpage?

or is there really more to it than just

<!--#include file="sample.txt" -->

Blinky the Shark

EYEBUZZ wrote:

> Hello,

> I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing
> I'd like to do is be able to do is change a part of a web page without
> having to open up all the pages. For a very simple example...at the
> bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and so at the end of
> the year I'd like to change the date to the new year....currently, in
> HTML, I have to open all pages and make the change....I'd like to just
> open one file and make the change (footer.txt ... or such)....will ASP
> or JSP or XML or What help me out?

Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...

http://blinkynet.net/

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
Happily slrning again.

Chuck

>You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the date
>the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the original
>date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone copied it in
>2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page stating "copyright
>2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they can claim their page was
>created before yours!

Some people use Copyright 2001-2004, to indicate that the original
content was first copyright in 2001, but changes have been made up to
and including 2004. I don't know if it's proper, but many people do
it.

-Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
Spread love and understanding...
but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
-Alex Ross

Paul Furman

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
> HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...
>
> http://blinkynet.net/

Again, I ask: can this be previewed locally as I code, like with 1stPage
or I'd have to set up a server & browse to that address?

Blinky the Shark

Paul Furman wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
>> HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...

>> http://blinkynet.net/

> Again, I ask: can this be previewed locally as I code, like with 1stPage
> or I'd have to set up a server & browse to that address?

It's local. Read the page I linked.

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
Happily slrning again.

Paul Furman

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Paul Furman wrote:
>
>>Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>>Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
>>>HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...

>>>http://blinkynet.net/

>>Again, I ask: can this be previewed locally as I code, like with 1stPage
>>or I'd have to set up a server & browse to that address?

> It's local. Read the page I linked.

Ah... "processes files before they are uploaded to a webserver"
http://dorward.me.uk/software/dolt/

Chuck

>Ever so easy with SSI.
>
>http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

How many servers support this? What are the requirements?

Going beyond HTML / CSS? M HTML 13 08-02-2007 09:41 PM
Looking beyond HTML. . . Michael Laplante HTML 4 06-09-2006 07:38 AM
beyond html and css David Graham HTML 2 02-12-2006 08:27 AM
Wap and beyond Frank Wireless Networking 1 06-18-2005 03:00 AM
How to get beyond a shared internet connection =?Utf-8?B?bWFyYnk=?= Wireless Networking 0 01-04-2005 03:33 AM

Advertisments