Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Use of standard fonts...

Use of standard fonts...

some dude somewhere

Hi there,

I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
making a HTML page?

I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial and
so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a standard
windows font.

But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global' webbuilding?

Eric

Richard

some dude somewhere wrote:

> Hi there,

> I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
> making a HTML page?

> I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial
> and so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a
> standard windows font.

> But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

> Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global'
> webbuilding?

> Eric

that's why you select several. if you want trebuchet as your first choice,
then arial as your 2nd, another one as your 3rd and so on, just list them in
font-family.
I will assume that if none of the choices are available, it reverts back to
the user's machine default font.
I generally have my IE set to totally ignore the fonts anyway.

brucie

in post: <news:raBOb.51298$(E-Mail Removed)>
"some dude somewhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> which FONTS can I use when making a HTML page?

any you like

> I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial and
> so on.

i only have one of those fonts.

> But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a standard
> windows font.

i don't have that one either

> But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

just specify a generic family so you get the look you want and the
visitor gets their preferred font for the family specified. simple.

--
brucie - i usenet nude

Toby A Inkster

some dude somewhere wrote:

> I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
> making a HTML page?

http://www.codestyle.org/ has a nice list of common fonts on different
platforms.

However, note not all fonts with the same name are equal. The Helvetica
that comes with Mac OS is nice and anti-aliased. The Helvetica that comes
with Ghostscript (and is thus installed on many Linux and Unix systems) is
a Type1 font, so doesn't include anti-aliasing, so looks pretty ugly.

e.g. http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scr...ana-is-strange

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

picayunish

some dude somewhere wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
> making a HTML page?
>
> I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial and
> so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a standard
> windows font.
>
> But then again, what about the linux and mac users?
>
> Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global' webbuilding?

What about not specifying any font. That way you let the visitors decide
what kind of font they have set with there browsers. And you don't have
to worry about any standard browser font on all platforms.

The same goes for the font size.
--
Edwin van der Vaart

Sid Ismail

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:31:35 GMT, "some dude somewhere"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
: making a HTML page?

None. The user has a set default.

Sid

jake

In message <raBOb.51298$(E-Mail Removed)>, some dude
somewhere <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Hi there,
>
>I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
>making a HTML page?

Just about any you like -- although not everyone will see your choice.
You could 'embed' your font, in which case some 85% of your viewers will
see it (assuming you and they are Windows/IE users)

>I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial and
>so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a standard
>windows font.

Trebuchet is an excellent choice for a sans-serif font, having been
designed for especially for screen clarity. Not everybody has it
installed, but Arial and Helvetica are excellent fall-backs.

Verdana has a few problems associated with its use (although it, too,
was designed for screen clarity).

>But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

No idea, I'm afraid.

>Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global' webbuilding?

Not that I know of, but if you search around you should come up with a
list of 'most installed fonts' on various platforms.

--
Jake

some dude somewhere

OK, I understand why you wouldn't want to specify a certain font, but as a
designer you want to control the look of a website you make. I guess it is
the classic battle between control of a design and technical simplicity.
Hehehe, categorise this as the same discussion on frames or no frames!

Thanks anyway.

Eric

"Richard" <anonymous@127.000> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> some dude somewhere wrote:
>
> > Hi there,

> > I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
> > making a HTML page?

> > I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial
> > and so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a
> > standard windows font.

> > But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

> > Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global'
> > webbuilding?

> > Eric

> that's why you select several. if you want trebuchet as your first choice,
> then arial as your 2nd, another one as your 3rd and so on, just list them

in
> font-family.
> I will assume that if none of the choices are available, it reverts back

> the user's machine default font.
> I generally have my IE set to totally ignore the fonts anyway.

PeterMcC

some dude somewhere <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<pcQOb.43673$(E-Mail Removed)>
> "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> some dude somewhere wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there,

>> > I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I

>> use when > making a HTML page?
>>
>> > I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana,

>> arial > and so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as
>> it is a > standard windows font.
>>
>> > But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

>> > Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global'
>> > webbuilding?

>> that's why you select several. if you want trebuchet as your first
>> choice, then arial as your 2nd, another one as your 3rd and so on,
>> just list them in font-family.
>> I will assume that if none of the choices are available, it reverts
>> back to the user's machine default font.
>> I generally have my IE set to totally ignore the fonts anyway.

> OK, I understand why you wouldn't want to specify a certain font, but
> as a designer you want to control the look of a website you make. I
> guess it is the classic battle between control of a design and
> technical simplicity. Hehehe, categorise this as the same discussion
> on frames or no frames!

You may have misunderstood.

It's not a philosophical issue - you can't specify the font that will be
used to display the page. The font used depends on what font you have
suggested in the mark-up/CSS, what fonts are available on the client machine
and what preferences as regards fonts the user of the client machine has
implemented. The only fonts that you can suggest with some reasonable
expectation of use are generic serif or sans serif.

If the specific font is essential to the page's appearance, you will need to
substitute the text with an image of the text as you want it to appear. That
will, of course, introduce a whole set of other problems

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

some dude somewhere

Thanks Jake!!!!

Eric

"jake" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...