Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem with this page/table

Problem with this page/table

Simon

Can anyone tell me why the image on the right of this page
http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm is appearing under the table?
Would the best way around the problem be to put the text on the left and
image on the right into the top row of the table. (Create a new top row in
the table).

Another question; when I first wrote the page I wanted to 'reference' the
top level directory first for the images (so that no matter where the user
was within the site layout, the browser would go to the top level of the
directory structure and then downward for the images). To start with I had
"..\images\thumbs\xxx.jpg" but I found this to be the incorrect slash. I
understand it should be "../images/thumbs/xxx.jpg", but it did work with the
slashes the other way around. Is this dependant on which OS the web server
is running? Or is it just plain wrong to use the \ slash?

People are probably going to say I should use CSS instead of tables, but
I've only been learning HTML for the past few days so don't want to
complicate things for myself as tables seem nice and easy.

This is a work in progress and I'm a HTML newbie, so don't bash me But
suggestions on ways to improve how I'm doing things would be welcome.

Leif K-Brooks

Simon wrote:
> People are probably going to say I should use CSS instead of tables, but
> I've only been learning HTML for the past few days so don't want to
> complicate things for myself as tables seem nice and easy.

If you don't want to complicate things, just use structural HTML with no
presentation at all. Add CSS to it later.

Paul Furman

Simon wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why the image on the right of this page
> http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm is appearing under the table?
> Would the best way around the problem be to put the text on the left and
> image on the right into the top row of the table. (Create a new top row in
> the table).
>
> Another question; when I first wrote the page I wanted to 'reference' the
> top level directory first for the images (so that no matter where the user
> was within the site layout, the browser would go to the top level of the
> directory structure and then downward for the images). To start with I had
> "..\images\thumbs\xxx.jpg" but I found this to be the incorrect slash. I
> understand it should be "../images/thumbs/xxx.jpg", but it did work with the
> slashes the other way around. Is this dependant on which OS the web server
> is running? Or is it just plain wrong to use the \ slash?
>
> People are probably going to say I should use CSS instead of tables, but
> I've only been learning HTML for the past few days so don't want to
> complicate things for myself as tables seem nice and easy.
>
> This is a work in progress and I'm a HTML newbie, so don't bash me But
> suggestions on ways to improve how I'm doing things would be welcome.

Backslash is incorrect and only works locally not on the web.

I don't know why the url's in the table work. It seems they should not.
Remove the ../

You would only use that if you were inside the images or thumbs folder.

The image is at http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/imag...t/hinline1.jpg
the page is at
http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm
you are already at the top so the path should simply be
images/hurst/hinline1.jpg
no need to go back, there is no further back to go
same for
http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/images/hurstheader.jpg

Paul Furman

Simon wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why the image on the right of this page
> http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm is appearing under the table?
> Would the best way around the problem be to put the text on the left and
> image on the right into the top row of the table. (Create a new top row in
> the table).

Oh, I see. Yes put the top stuff in a separate table. <table border="0">
I've never seen the img align right with text on the left, that's what's
making it so strange.

Safalra

"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<400a6f00$0$27811$(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> To start with I had
> "..\images\thumbs\xxx.jpg" but I found this to be the incorrect slash. I
> understand it should be "../images/thumbs/xxx.jpg", but it did work with the
> slashes the other way around. Is this dependant on which OS the web server
> is running? Or is it just plain wrong to use the \ slash?

Some browsers (Internet Explorer and Opera for example, but not old
versions of Netscape) correct the stroke before requesting the page
from the server. In terms of servers, the one hosting my site (Apache)
doesn't correct the stroke (there may be an option concerning this,
but I haven't looked...), but I suspect Microsoft servers probably do.
The backwards stroke is incorrect anyhow, so you should always use the
forwards stroke.

--- Safalra (Stephen Morley) ---
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext

Simon

"Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simon wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me why the image on the right of this page
> > http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm is appearing under the table?
> > Would the best way around the problem be to put the text on the left and
> > image on the right into the top row of the table. (Create a new top row

in
> > the table).

> Oh, I see. Yes put the top stuff in a separate table. <table border="0">
> I've never seen the img align right with text on the left, that's what's
> making it so strange.

Thanks.

Eric Bohlman

"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:400a6f00$0$27811$(E-Mail Removed) :

> People are probably going to say I should use CSS instead of tables,
> but I've only been learning HTML for the past few days so don't want
> to complicate things for myself as tables seem nice and easy.

With all respect, I'm going to suggest that by doing so you're actually
going to make things harder for yourself in the long run. Much of the
difficulty people seem to have learning CSS is, I rather strongly suspect,
not due to anything hard about CSS itself, but rather due to the fact that
they've learned bad habits (hackish use of tables) and have to unlearn them
in the course of learning CSS. They get mentally locked into thinking of
CSS in terms of what table arrangement the various rules correspond to, and
that makes it harder for them to develop a proper mental model of CSS
rendering. Creating a new mental model of something from scratch, while a
lot of work, is almost always easier than trying to modify an existing
mental model.

So I think you'll become a better designer if you avoid picking up
techniques that may work in a limited sense in the short term, but that
become increasingly difficult and error-prone as you try to do more complex
things. If you learn CSS from a "clean slate" it will become second nature
to you.