Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 1st page

1st page

lostinspace

Might anybody have a clue why, in 1st page when copying and pasting from
NotePad to a 1st Page in progress,

the dashes and em-dashed are converted to question marks?
There must be a configuration which prevents this?

Thanks in advance.

Woolly Mittens

"lostinspace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KvnOb.31597$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
> Might anybody have a clue why, in 1st page when copying and pasting from
> NotePad to a 1st Page in progress,

1st page?

> the dashes and em-dashed are converted to question marks?
> There must be a configuration which prevents this?

The dashes in the text you're copying are problably from a part of the
font-set, which is not supported by the place you're copying it too.

Try converting your text to MSDOS ASCII, before working with it.

lostinspace

> > Might anybody have a clue why, in 1st page when copying and pasting from
> > NotePad to a 1st Page in progress,

> 1st page?
>
> > the dashes and em-dashed are converted to question marks?
> > There must be a configuration which prevents this?

> The dashes in the text you're copying are problably from a part of the
> font-set, which is not supported by the place you're copying it too.
>
> Try converting your text to MSDOS ASCII, before working with it.

Thanks for your help.

1st Page 2000
http://www.evrsoft.com/

However, if you don't use 1st Page, than your not going to be able to
assist.
For four years, I was using the frowned-upon FP and never had this problem
when cutting and pasting from NotePad and into the FP html pages.
Apprx. six weeks ago, I decided to try an alternative software to use as my
html editor (Not sure how long I've had 1st Page and wasn't using it.)

a simple "dash" in NotePad requires no font settings that I'm aware of ?
EX; tongue-in-cheek would be replaced (upon pasting) as; tongue?in?cheek ,
requiring me to go back editing and spell checking text of which I've
previously done so.

This little glitch a real PITA as the text I work with contains many uses
of dashes and em-dashes repeatedly.
I'm looking for a solution in an attempt to stay committed away from FP,
however the FP has no real criteria as I may use that as a simple text
editor and still retain the copy and pasting with no transition loss or even
added enhancements.

BTW, I've made an inquiry in the 1st Page forum, without a successful reply.
Searched their archives without success. To add misery, 1st page comes
without any significant help files.

PeterMcC

lostinspace <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<kCDOb.31873$P%(E-Mail Removed) om>

I wasn't going to be picky about the dashes...

> I'm looking for a solution in an attempt to stay committed away from
> FP, however the FP has no real criteria as I may use that as a simple
> text editor and still retain the copy and pasting with no transition
> loss or even added enhancements.
>
> This little glitch a real PITA as the text I work with contains many
> uses of dashes and em-dashes repeatedly.

.... but, as you've specifically raised ems and ens: the horizontal lines in
"tongue-in-cheek" aren't dashes, they're hyphens. Are you putting in hyphens
or something else for the ems, such as — or &mdash; ?

I can't seem to replicate the problem although, since it's a while since I
installed 1st page and haven't used it recently, I may have changed a
default that meant the problem didn't appear. Are you simply copying from
Notepad and then pasting into the "Edit F11" view?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,