Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Run a web site on your Personal Computer

Run a web site on your Personal Computer

Street

While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC, turning
it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if you are in a
hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.
2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know it. Be part of the
Revolution.
http://www.netforall.com/servlets/ShowSite
It includes Shopping Carts, Automatic Thumbnail Creation, Multimedia File
Processing, Dynamic IP Tracking, Instant tracking of visitors activities on
your site. Visitor can change Page Layout and Background at will.
All you need is a broadband connection to host web sites for yourself or other
small businesses. Very convenient for online photo albums, E-Commerce, etc.
You may download it from http://www.netforall.com/downloads.html
and enjoy! Thanks,

Poly
www.polystreet.com

Cameron

Street wrote:

> While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC, turning
> it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if you are in a
> hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.
> 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know it. Be part of the
> Revolution.
> http://www.netforall.com/servlets/ShowSite
> It includes Shopping Carts, Automatic Thumbnail Creation, Multimedia File
> Processing, Dynamic IP Tracking, Instant tracking of visitors activities on
> your site. Visitor can change Page Layout and Background at will.
> All you need is a broadband connection to host web sites for yourself or other
> small businesses. Very convenient for online photo albums, E-Commerce, etc.
> You may download it from http://www.netforall.com/downloads.html
> and enjoy! Thanks,
>
> Poly
> www.polystreet.com

How VERY VERY scary, let us outline some of the reasons why this may not
be the best solution.

1) Most broadband providers are ADSL which has less upstream than
downstream as such inhibiting the speed at which pages can be served.

2) Most broadband providers in the UK don't like people running web
servers and the like, and have used the "Acceptable Use" clause in the
agreement to enforce this.

3) On any website security is of prime concern, allowing someone to
quickly and simply run a server from their own PC is rather dangerous.

4) You can quite simply get a free dynamic host name and a free web
server, if someone wants to set up a website they should learn how.

~Cameron

JustAnotherGuy

Street wrote:
> While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC, turning
> it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if you are in a
> hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.
> 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know it. Be part of the
> Revolution.

If you are in a hurry like most of us, you do need FTP or Web Hosting
Companies.

Don Lancaster

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

> Street wrote:
> > While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC, turning
> > it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if you are in a
> > hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.
> > 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know it. Be part of the
> > Revolution.

> If you are in a hurry like most of us, you do need FTP or Web Hosting
> Companies.

One of the minor advantages of using an ISP compared to self-hosting is
that you do not have to run your PC 24/7 as a dedicated server on a T1
or T3 or equivalent wireless line.

The standby diesel generator alone makes self-hosting cost ineffective.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (92428-4073 email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) fax 847-574-1462

Richard

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

> Street wrote:
>> While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC,
>> turning it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if
>>you are in a hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web
>>Hosting Companies. 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know
>>it. Be part of the Revolution.

> If you are in a hurry like most of us, you do need FTP or Web Hosting
> Companies.

What these "smart ones" don't understand is, a home based website would be a
downfall in the long run.
First, you'd have to have an ISP that allowed 24 hour service.
Then you'd have to leave your site online 24 hours a day which means your
little old PC is gonna get sick toot sweet.
Plus the fact, that many of those sites are extremely slow in loading.
Then you are at the mercy of your cable service provider who is prone to
failure.
Oh you're on dialup? Forget it.
Many ISP's offer free web space so why not take advantage of it and use it?

Toby A Inkster

Street wrote:

> While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC

I already do thanks.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Toby A Inkster

Richard wrote:

> Oh you're on dialup? Forget it.

I used to run a small server even when I was on dialup. I had a free web
hosting account that I would upload my current IP address to in a text
file so that people knew where to find me.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Evan Platt

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:21:12 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000>
wrote:

>What these "smart ones" don't understand is, a home based website would be a
>downfall in the long run.

I've been doing it for years.. Granted, not my PRIMARY website, but a
link right from there. Hosting pictures and such.

>First, you'd have to have an ISP that allowed 24 hour service.

24 hour service? I think most ISP's now don't charge per minute. I
know of very few that do. Ok - you can probably list some, but is it
that hard to find a ISP that offers unlimited connection?

>Then you'd have to leave your site online 24 hours a day which means your
>little old PC is gonna get sick toot sweet.

My computer has been up 24/7 for going on 5 years. Just got a brand
new compaq last week, prior to that had the same P3 for 5 years. An
ISP basically has computers they leave on 24/7 - what's the
difference?

>Plus the fact, that many of those sites are extremely slow in loading.

It all depends on your upstream traffic.

I have a 1.5/128k connection. Granted, it's not a t-1, but very few
people have ever complained.

>Then you are at the mercy of your cable service provider who is prone to
>failure.

You assume CABLE. I'm on DSL. Cable is unreliable.

>Oh you're on dialup? Forget it.

For text pages, dial up would be fine. Simple HTML, no or small
graphics? You probably would barely notice.

>Many ISP's offer free web space so why not take advantage of it and use it?

I have about 100 megs on my personal computer of images and such. WAY
over what a ISP provides at a reasonable cost.

I am NOT endorsing this guys software - there's plenty of stuff out
there for free that's MUCH better. Apache, for example.

Evan
To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Evan Platt:

> You assume CABLE. I'm on DSL. Cable is unreliable.

My cable internet access is very reliable, at 3Mbps. Maybe the cable
company in your neighborhood needs to do some work. Have you ever
subscribed?

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Evan Platt

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:42:24 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My cable internet access is very reliable, at 3Mbps. Maybe the cable
>company in your neighborhood needs to do some work. Have you ever
>subscribed?

Yeah. A few years ago. I know plenty of people here who have cable and
can't stand it. It's Comcast (ex AT&T) here.
To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.