Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > enabling CSS speech function

enabling CSS speech function

Richard

Ok since the "troll/spammer" brought up the valid point, I got to thinking
about that and in my editor it has the attributes listed for the speech
stuff.
So what does one do to activate this?
Obviously it's not as simple as typing in "speak" and it happens.
Can one write a "div" that spells out how and what is to be spoken or what?
Any working websites that demonstrate this function?

Leif K-Brooks

Richard wrote:
> Ok since the "troll/spammer" brought up the valid point, I got to thinking
> about that and in my editor it has the attributes listed for the speech
> stuff.
> So what does one do to activate this?
> Obviously it's not as simple as typing in "speak" and it happens.

Yes it is. If you put the word "speak", a voice browser will say the
word "speak".

> Can one write a "div" that spells out how and what is to be spoken or what?

Yup:
it as pixels.</div>

> Any working websites that demonstrate this function?

Any well-designed web page will work perfectly well in a speech browser.

Steve Pugh

"Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:

>Ok since the "troll/spammer" brought up the valid point, I got to thinking
>about that and in my editor it has the attributes listed for the speech
>stuff.
>So what does one do to activate this?
>Obviously it's not as simple as typing in "speak" and it happens.
>Can one write a "div" that spells out how and what is to be spoken or what?
>Any working websites that demonstrate this function?

Which speaking browser are you using? Read the manual for that to find
out how to turn the speech on.

However, very few (can anyone name any?) aural browsers support the
aural portions of CSS 2; so writing aural stylesheets is rather an
exercise in futility at the moment.

Steve

Richard

Steve Pugh wrote:

> "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:

>>Ok since the "troll/spammer" brought up the valid point, I got to
>>thinking about that and in my editor it has the attributes listed for the

> speech stuff. So what does one do to activate this? Obviously it's not as
> simple as typing in "speak" and it happens. Can one write a "div" that
> spells out how and what is to be spoken or what? Any working websites that
> demonstrate this function?

> Which speaking browser are you using? Read the manual for that to find
> out how to turn the speech on.

> However, very few (can anyone name any?) aural browsers support the
> aural portions of CSS 2; so writing aural stylesheets is rather an
> exercise in futility at the moment.

> Steve

That's what I've been reading on various sites.
Microsoft had a talking browser but it sounded funky.
The main problem with the speech thing is, how do you to tell it the
difference between "content:noun" and "content:verb"?
The MS browser would say "contents" as a verb.
"read" was spoken as "re-add".

Steve Pugh

"Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:

>Microsoft had a talking browser but it sounded funky.

And anything from MS is the best around?

>The main problem with the speech thing is, how do you to tell it the
>difference between "content:noun" and "content:verb"?

You don't tell it anything. The browser should be able to tell the
difference by analysing the surrounding sentence. That's not trivial
and is one of the reasons why speech synthesis of any sort is taking
so long to reach a level where it can go mainstream.

A bigger challenge is with rare, foreigh or made-up words. But there's
nothing an author (as opposed to a user or a browser manufacturer) can
really do about it at this time.

>The MS browser would say "contents" as a verb.

But can a user understand what was actually meant?

>"read" was spoken as "re-add".

That's just bad.

One speech browser I tested, oh, six years ago pronounced homepage as
hom-er-pag. But then again I've always preferred home page, two
separate words.

Steve

Cameron

Richard wrote:

> Ok since the "troll/spammer" brought up the valid point, I got to thinking
> about that and in my editor it has the attributes listed for the speech
> stuff.
> So what does one do to activate this?
> Obviously it's not as simple as typing in "speak" and it happens.
> Can one write a "div" that spells out how and what is to be spoken or what?
> Any working websites that demonstrate this function?

CSS 3 (Currently under development) will have support for quite a few
speech settings, at least that's the impression I got when I glanced at
the pages for it.

~Cameron

jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve Pugh
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:
>
>>Ok since the "troll/spammer" brought up the valid point, I got to thinking
>>about that and in my editor it has the attributes listed for the speech
>>stuff.
>>So what does one do to activate this?
>>Obviously it's not as simple as typing in "speak" and it happens.
>>Can one write a "div" that spells out how and what is to be spoken or what?
>>Any working websites that demonstrate this function?

>Which speaking browser are you using? Read the manual for that to find
>out how to turn the speech on.
>
>However, very few (can anyone name any?) aural browsers support the
>aural portions of CSS 2; so writing aural stylesheets is rather an
>exercise in futility at the moment.

Apparently, Emacspeak can support an aural stylesheet -- but as it only
runs on Linux it's not too useful

--
Jake

jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve Pugh
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:
>
>>Microsoft had a talking browser but it sounded funky.

>And anything from MS is the best around?
>
>>The main problem with the speech thing is, how do you to tell it the
>>difference between "content:noun" and "content:verb"?

>You don't tell it anything. The browser should be able to tell the
>difference by analysing the surrounding sentence. That's not trivial
>and is one of the reasons why speech synthesis of any sort is taking
>so long to reach a level where it can go mainstream.
>
>A bigger challenge is with rare, foreigh or made-up words. But there's
>nothing an author (as opposed to a user or a browser manufacturer) can
>really do about it at this time.
>
>>The MS browser would say "contents" as a verb.

>But can a user understand what was actually meant?
>
>>"read" was spoken as "re-add".

>That's just bad.

'lead' ............ another word that gives problems.

>One speech browser I tested, oh, six years ago pronounced homepage as
>hom-er-pag. But then again I've always preferred home page, two
>separate words.

Mine still does pronounce 'homepage' as hom-uh-puj. But as it's a word
'not in the dictionary', I suppose that it's not unreasonable. Still, if
I wanted to I could always put the 'correct' pronunciation into the
user-dictionary.

--
Jake