Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > site check please

site check please

Anthony Ritter

Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5

at:

www.narrowsburg.org

The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is rendered o.k
with IE 5.5

If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know how it's
rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

Thank you.
TR

Steve Pugh

"Anthony Ritter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
>
>www.narrowsburg.org
>
>The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is rendered o.k
>with IE 5.5

Why not just give the actual URL of the page you're interested in:
http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_welcome.html

>If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know how it's
>rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

The menu is mostly okay in Opera 7, but the previous splash page is a
mess: http://steve.pugh.net/test/O7-narrowsburg.jpg

In IE6, Opera 7 and Mozilla 1.5 the page is okay at 800x600 but shows
overlapping images and text at larger resolutions.

This is of course caused by combining % and px in the positioing
instructions. Personally I would not use position: absolute to achieve
that layout, rather I would use float and margin.

Steve

PeterMcC

Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>

> "Anthony Ritter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
>>
>> www.narrowsburg.org
>>
>> The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is
>> rendered o.k with IE 5.5

> Why not just give the actual URL of the page you're interested in:
> http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_welcome.html

Because then they wouldn't have seen the instruction "This site is best
viewed using MS IE5x at 800" x 600". Please enlarge your screen."

That's nearly 70 foot by 50 foot - that's what I call enlargement.

The serious point is that it's a bad idea to design for a specific display.

>> If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know
>> how it's rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

> The menu is mostly okay in Opera 7, but the previous splash page is a
> mess: http://steve.pugh.net/test/O7-narrowsburg.jpg
>
> In IE6, Opera 7 and Mozilla 1.5 the page is okay at 800x600 but shows
> overlapping images and text at larger resolutions.
>
> This is of course caused by combining % and px in the positioing
> instructions. Personally I would not use position: absolute to achieve
> that layout, rather I would use float and margin.

Whilst it's not directly related to the menu, it may be worth mentioning
that in IE the fixed sized text is too small for me to read comfortably and
virtually impossible to read over the background image.

And, if I'm going to wander into other areas, there are links in the copy
that are not shown as links unless one happens to mouse over them and which
don't appear to be replicated on the menu - making it a matter of chance
that the visitor finds them.

Hope that's useful.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Anthony Ritter:

> Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
>
> at:

Several of us have already answered you in alt.html.critique
Please don't multipost.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Rob

On second page some pictures appear over the text.
Didn't look further.

W98 MSExplorer 6.0 sp1
Screen resolution 1024x768

Rob.

"Anthony Ritter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:400704c2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
>
> at:
>
> www.narrowsburg.org
>
> The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is rendered o.k
> with IE 5.5
>
> If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know how it's
> rendered on different browsers and operating systems.
>
> Thank you.
> TR

Marco Bakker

Anthony Ritter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
>
> at:
>
> www.narrowsburg.org
>
> The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is rendered o.k
> with IE 5.5
>
> If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know how it's
> rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_members.html

This page gives a Javascript saying 'sorry, this only works in 4.0
browsers'.

I use Safari 1.1.

I guess I have to wait for version 4.0 and than check your site again,
in 2006 or 2007.

--
marco

mscir

Marco Bakker wrote:

> Anthony Ritter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5 at:
>>
>>www.narrowsburg.org
>>
>>The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is rendered o.k
>>with IE 5.5
>>
>>If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know how it's
>>rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

> http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_members.html
>
> This page gives a Javascript saying 'sorry, this only works in 4.0
> browsers'.
>
> I use Safari 1.1.

I get the same warning using Netscape 7.1

rf

"mscir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Marco Bakker wrote:
>
> > http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_members.html
> >
> > This page gives a Javascript saying 'sorry, this only works in 4.0
> > browsers'.
> >
> > I use Safari 1.1.

> I get the same warning using Netscape 7.1

Mozilla as well (of course).

The offending bit of javascript:

<quote>
if (document.all)
{
div_string = "window.document.all." + the_div + ".style";
} else if (document.layers) {
div_string = "window.document." + the_div;
} else {
alert("sorry, this only works in 4.0 browsers");
return;
}
the_div = eval(div_string);
the_div.visibility = the_change;