Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > alistaprtstyle switcher, works but kills my default style :O(

alistaprtstyle switcher, works but kills my default style :O(

Hardeep Rakhra

So close, yet so far :O(

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

Using the above style switcher, however while it works, when you first
visit the site, it starts up with No style whatsoever. Default style
sheet is just ignored. It's something to do with the JS but i really
dunno what. I remove the JS and page loads happily with the default style.

anyone care to have a looksie @ http://makeupheaven.rakhra.org.uk

it's up and down depending on what i'm doing to it, but have a peek
perhaps you can spot whats happening.

Hardeep.

brucie

in post: <news:bu63c9$e94ck$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Hardeep Rakhra <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging the
use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.

> Using the above style switcher, however while it works,

you have a funny idea of works

> when you first visit the site, it starts up with No style whatsoever.
> It's something to do with the JS but i really dunno what. I remove
> the JS and page loads happily with the default style.

gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
work for everyone.

--
brucie - i usenet nude

William Tasso

brucie wrote:
> in post: <news:bu63c9$e94ck$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> Hardeep Rakhra <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

> i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging
> the use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.
>
>> Using the above style switcher, however while it works,

> you have a funny idea of works

<q>
He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
</q> Lou Reed
--
William Tasso

brucie

in post: <news:bu66s3$e6hod$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
"William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> <q>
> He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
> Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
> I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
> Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
> </q> Lou Reed

<q>
And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
</q> gary jules

--
brucie - i usenet nude

PeterMcC

brucie <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote in
<bu698v$dkn5c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>

> in post: <news:bu66s3$e6hod$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> "William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> <q>
>> He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
>> Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
>> I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
>> Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
>> </q> Lou Reed

> <q>
> And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
> The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
> </q> gary jules

I think Roland Orzabal might have a word or two to say about that
attribution

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

brucie

in post: <news:b6yNb.15170$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>
"PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> <q>
>> And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
>> The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
>> </q> gary jules

> I think Roland Orzabal might have a word or two to say about that
> attribution

ppfffttt nancy boy. jules's cover is far far superior.

--
brucie - i usenet nude

Whitecrest

In article <bu698v$dkn5c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
****@bruciesusenetshit.info says...
> > <q>
> > He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
> > Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
> > I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
> > Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
> > </q> Lou Reed

> <q>
> And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
> The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
> </q> gary jules

Shooby dooby doo
Frank

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Hardeep Rakhra

brucie wrote:

> gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
> work for everyone.

From the user stand point. But what if the devloper has no access to a
server side language? Or hasn;t been informed enough at this stage to
know if the end product will reside on a server with said functionality.

I'd love to go the PHP way, it'd help me templete things nicely and do
all sorts of things to make my life easier, but for now it's outta the
question.

If JS works, i.e. behaves for the majority of the audience then hey, it
works.

Hardeep.

brucie

in post: <news:bu6bp1$e3v9b$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Hardeep Rakhra <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
>> work for everyone.

> From the user stand point.

of course from the users stand point. they want a site to work when they
visit it, they don't give a **** about what the developer wants or
thinks.

> But what if the devloper has no access to a server side language?

then the developer needs to move to a server that supports server side
goodies. what kind of developer hasn't got server goodies anyway. their
client base would be miniscule if they couldn't do server side stuff.

> Or hasn;t been informed enough at this stage to know if the end
> product will reside on a server with said functionality.

you cant start a project without that knowledge and if server side
goodies is the best method but the server hasn't got the support then
you have to educate the clients why it would be a good idea to get it.

if they decline you make note of it in the contract to cover your arse
so when they want feedback forms, db content etc etc a few months down
the track you cant tell them they're idiots.

> I'd love to go the PHP way,

then do so

> it'd help me templete things nicely and do all sorts of things to
> make my life easier, but for now it's outta the question.

why?

--
brucie - i usenet nude

William Tasso

Hardeep Rakhra wrote:
> brucie wrote:
>
>> gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
>> work for everyone.

> From the user stand point.

Anything else is relevant?

> But what if the devloper has no access
> to a server side language?

Then it isn't doable.

> Or hasn;t been informed enough at this
> stage to know if the end product will reside on a server with said
> functionality.

Then walk away until the client either gets their act together or tasks you
with the responsibility. Life is too short to apply infrastructure
guesswork to professional solutions.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com