Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > can I fix a css?

can I fix a css?

Andrew

Thanks to brucie, Mark, Derek for answers on the frame question!

I am looking to cascading style sheets as an option, because my content is
relatively simple and harder techniques would paralyze me.

So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
fixed as the user scrolls). Is there a nice solid way to do this?

Sorry to bug you with my petty questions!

Best,
Andrew

Mark Parnell

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:13:48 GMT, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:
> So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
> with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
> menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
> fixed as the user scrolls). Is there a nice solid way to do this?

position: fixed;

But it isn't supported by IE. There are Javascript workarounds, but none
are particularly nice, IMHO.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

brucie

in post: <news:wcqNb.15152$(E-Mail Removed) >
"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
> with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
> menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
> fixed as the user scrolls).

http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.in...ut-thingy.html

not supported by IE, needs position:fixed; fix:
http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/

--
brucie - i usenet nude

rf

news:wcqNb.15152$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to brucie, Mark, Derek for answers on the frame question!
>
> I am looking to cascading style sheets as an option, because my content is
> relatively simple and harder techniques would paralyze me.
>
> So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
> with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
> menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
> fixed as the user scrolls). Is there a nice solid way to do this?

No, there is not.

You can simulate it with lots of nasty javascript but why bother? There is
nothing wrong with the menu disappearing. Your viewers will know how to
press the up button to bring it into view again.

> Sorry to bug you with my petty questions!

Not petty. We all went there once

Cheers
Richard.

Andrew Glasgow

In article <4guNb.13380$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wcqNb.15152$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks to brucie, Mark, Derek for answers on the frame question!
> >
> > I am looking to cascading style sheets as an option, because my content is
> > relatively simple and harder techniques would paralyze me.
> >
> > So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
> > with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
> > menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
> > fixed as the user scrolls). Is there a nice solid way to do this?

> No, there is not.
>
> You can simulate it with lots of nasty javascript but why bother? There is
> nothing wrong with the menu disappearing. Your viewers will know how to
> press the up button to bring it into view again.
>
> > Sorry to bug you with my petty questions!

> Not petty. We all went there once
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

position: fixed can do what he wants in theory but it doesn't work in
all browsers.

--
| Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
| "It's 106 light-years to Chicago, we've got a full chamber of anti-matter, |