Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: alignment problem in Opera

Re: alignment problem in Opera

Spartanicus

-D- wrote:

Moved from opera.beta

>>>Does anyone know how I can correct the following alignment problem that
>>>occurs in Opera 6 & 7?
>>>
>>>referring URL:
>>>http://www.mattminorandshotglass.com/index.htm

>>You've got far more important things to worry about, this is what I saw:
>>http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.i...tglass.com.png

>Are you using popup blocker software or something similiar?

Not when I visited your site.

>I've tested and
>viewed the pages on multiple browsers and versions (IE 5.0 5.5 6.0, Netscape
>4, 6, 7, Mozilla Firebird, Opera 6 & 7) and everything is viewing fine.

Try it sans javascript and sans flash.

>>>There is a small misalignment that occurss with the iframe and graphic in
>>>the following page. It also is occuring in the menu. There are larger gaps
>>>between the menu buttons.

>>That's what you asked for by specifying cellspacing="2".
>>
>>>I've tried some other newsgroups that deal
>>>specifically with web development, but have been unable to find a solution.

>>I could only find an (afaics unrelated) post from you in
>>macormedia.dreamweaver
>>
>>Follow up set to alt.html
>>
>>>I was hoping someone here would know the answer to this problem. Any help
>>>is appreciated. Thanks.

>>If you want other people to look at your code then it's common curtesy
>>to make a minimized test case, having to trawl through the dreadful code
>>that you have produced is a lot of work.

>What is dreadful about the code? I'm using all CSS positioning and
>formattting.

It's yet another example of dreadful markup, tables used for layout with
a bit of css slapped on top it of.

--
Spartanicus

-D-

Okay, so you have javascript and Flash disabled. I'll loss some viewers
that have javascript and Flash disabled. The audience base I'm targeting is
more prone to have both enabled in their browser, so that isn't a major
concern for me.

I'm at a loss of what you were referring to with a table layout? The layout
is built with layers and CSS positioning. There are only two tables used in
the page. Both tables are within a layer to position the menu buttons and
the other for the iframe.

The table cell spacing is only used in the table with the menu buttons, but
again, Opera renders that with a larger gap. The iframe slight
mis-alignment uses a table with the cell spacing to zero, so it is something
else that is causing the alignment problem there.

-D-

"Spartanicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie...
> -D- wrote:
>
> Moved from opera.beta

> >>You've got far more important things to worry about, this is what I saw:
> >>http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.i...tglass.com.png

> >Are you using popup blocker software or something similiar?

> Not when I visited your site.
>
> >I've tested and
> >viewed the pages on multiple browsers and versions (IE 5.0 5.5 6.0,

Netscape
> >4, 6, 7, Mozilla Firebird, Opera 6 & 7) and everything is viewing fine.

> Try it sans javascript and sans flash.

in

gaps

> >>That's what you asked for by specifying cellspacing="2".

solution.

> >>I could only find an (afaics unrelated) post from you in
> >>macormedia.dreamweaver
> >>
> >>Follow up set to alt.html

help

> >>If you want other people to look at your code then it's common curtesy
> >>to make a minimized test case, having to trawl through the dreadful code
> >>that you have produced is a lot of work.

> >What is dreadful about the code? I'm using all CSS positioning and
> >formattting.

> It's yet another example of dreadful markup, tables used for layout with
> a bit of css slapped on top it of.
>
> --
> Spartanicus

Spartanicus

-D- wrote:

Top posting is not appreciated in this group.

>Okay, so you have javascript and Flash disabled. I'll loss some viewers
>that have javascript and Flash disabled. The audience base I'm targeting is
>more prone to have both enabled in their browser, so that isn't a major
>concern for me.

Your loss, bye.

--
Spartanicus

Cameron

Spartanicus wrote:

> -D- wrote:
>
> Top posting is not appreciated in this group.
>

>>Okay, so you have javascript and Flash disabled. I'll loss some viewers
>>that have javascript and Flash disabled. The audience base I'm targeting is
>>more prone to have both enabled in their browser, so that isn't a major
>>concern for me.

> Your loss, bye.

Really, a lot of that stuff could have been done without flash, and SO
many separate flash files, the site isn't remotely backwards compatible,
if it's a personal site belonging to someone that's just their choice,
if it's a web dev job done for someone or some company, well it's less
than acceptable in my opinion.

~Cameron

Cameron

Spartanicus wrote:

<snip>

>>What is dreadful about the code? I'm using all CSS positioning and
>>formattting.

> It's yet another example of dreadful markup, tables used for layout with
> a bit of css slapped on top it of.

I really do hope all these people that swear by CSS are sparing a
thought for browsers that don't support it and are creating other pages
that offer a none CSS based layout, as I have pointed out before
numerous big websites use tables for layout including
http://www.apache.org, http://www.microsoft.com, http://www.freebsd.org,
http://www.google.com

~Cameron

Leif K-Brooks

Cameron wrote:
> I really do hope all these people that swear by CSS are sparing a
> thought for browsers that don't support it and are creating other pages
> that offer a none CSS based layout.

As long as my web site is perfectly usable in older browsers, I don't care.

Whitecrest

In article <iyvMb.110$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > I really do hope all these people that swear by CSS are sparing a
> > thought for browsers that don't support it and are creating other pages
> > that offer a none CSS based layout.

> As long as my web site is perfectly usable in older browsers, I don't care.

Are you ever going to not support a browser? What are your thought
about abandoning say Netscape 2 or IE 1? Is there a point, that you
would in-fact stop supporting one of these obsoulete browsers?

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Leif K-Brooks

Whitecrest wrote:
>>As long as my web site is perfectly usable in older browsers, I don't care.

> Are you ever going to not support a browser? What are your thought
> about abandoning say Netscape 2 or IE 1? Is there a point, that you
> would in-fact stop supporting one of these obsoulete browsers?

When did I say anything about not supporting obsolete browsers? I said
that my site may not be pretty, but it should still be perfectly usable.

Cameron

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Whitecrest wrote:
>
>>> As long as my web site is perfectly usable in older browsers, I don't
>>> care.

>> Are you ever going to not support a browser? What are your thought
>> about abandoning say Netscape 2 or IE 1? Is there a point, that you
>> would in-fact stop supporting one of these obsoulete browsers?

> When did I say anything about not supporting obsolete browsers? I said
> that my site may not be pretty, but it should still be perfectly usable.

yep, just because a browser is old doesn't mean people aren't still
using it, just so many people consider it a sin to use tables for
layout, I have lost count of the messages in this newsgroup saying
something like "*GASP* you use tables for layout?!", I will keep using
them at least for the moment, compatibility should be the primary
concern of anyone writing a website.

~Cameron

Leif K-Brooks

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Whitecrest wrote:
>> Are you ever going to not support a browser? What are your thought
>> about abandoning say Netscape 2 or IE 1? Is there a point, that you
>> would in-fact stop supporting one of these obsoulete browsers?

> When did I say anything about not supporting obsolete browsers? I said
> that my site may not be pretty, but it should still be perfectly usable.

Sorry, my mistake. You were asking whether I would consider not
supporting old browsers, not why I wasn't supporting them.

I might consider stopping support if there was a real reason, but using
good design techniques lets me support them without doing anything extra.