Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > meta?

meta?

Robin

I used to know this, how do you set up a page to load all of it's stuff
before it displays...please cc a copy of your message to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
-Thanks
-Robin

Mark Parnell

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:41:50 -0700, Robin declared in alt.html:

> I used to know this, how do you set up a page to load all of it's stuff
> before it displays...

You don't.

> please cc a copy of your message to (E-Mail Removed)

Ask here, get answers here.

Why you shouldn't ask for E-mail responses on Usenet:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Andrew Cameron

Robin wrote:
> I used to know this, how do you set up a page to load all of it's
> stuff before it displays...

So you can teach this insipid technique to others via your HTML "help" page?
I don't think so.

> please cc a copy of your message to (E-Mail Removed)

I assume you also used to know usenetiquette but have forgotten. Asking for
private email is not good. Saying "here's my site omg its the greatest!!!1"
when one look reveals that not only is your knowledge out of date but you
are willing to pass this misinformation onto others, is not good either.

Just lurk before posting, that's all.

--
Andrew Cameron
"Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

Cameron

Andrew Cameron wrote:

<snip>
> Saying "here's my site omg its the greatest!!!1"
> when one look reveals that not only is your knowledge out of date but you
> are willing to pass this misinformation onto others, is not good either.
>
> Just lurk before posting, that's all.

You are being presumptuous, that MAY not be their website I have said
www.w3schools.com is a great site before, and it's not my site, but I
wish it was

I could be wrong, but that's not the point here, and while we are being
picky that snippet above would have been best presented with the
original post "good stuff", as anyone that reads this post would be like
"Hu where was that said?" so for any of you that have just said it see
the other post

~Cameron

Spartanicus

Cameron wrote:

>You are being presumptuous, that MAY not be their website I have said
>www.w3schools.com is a great site before, and it's not my site, but I
>wish it was

Excerpt: "When a browser sees the file extensions .htm or .html, it will
assume that the file is an HTML page."

Utter rubbish.

--
Spartanicus

Cameron

Spartanicus wrote:

> Cameron wrote:
>

>>You are being presumptuous, that MAY not be their website I have said
>>www.w3schools.com is a great site before, and it's not my site, but I
>>wish it was

> Excerpt: "When a browser sees the file extensions .htm or .html, it will
> assume that the file is an HTML page."
>
> Utter rubbish.

Explain...

~Cameron

Leif K-Brooks

Cameron wrote:
>> Excerpt: "When a browser sees the file extensions .htm or .html, it will
>> assume that the file is an HTML page."
>>
>> Utter rubbish.
>>

> Explain...

Standards-compliant browsers sees a MIME type (servers are generally
configured to send certain MIME for a certain extension, but the MIME
type can be configured in almost any way possible) or text/html (or
applicaition/xml+xhtml for XHTML) to know that it's an HTML file. Even
stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.

Cameron

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Cameron wrote:
>
>>> Excerpt: "When a browser sees the file extensions .htm or .html, it will
>>> assume that the file is an HTML page."
>>>
>>> Utter rubbish.
>>>

>> Explain...

> Standards-compliant browsers sees a MIME type (servers are generally
> configured to send certain MIME for a certain extension, but the MIME
> type can be configured in almost any way possible) or text/html (or
> applicaition/xml+xhtml for XHTML) to know that it's an HTML file. Even
> stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.

actually MSIE is too stupid I created a HTML file with the extension
..foo went into IE got the context menu up, went into properties and the
type said "Not Available", changed the ext to .html went in and it said
Microsoft HTML Document 5.0, so there is some truth in the fact that
some browsers do take the file ext into account, but not when rendering,
mozilla firebird however could not be fooled, obviously

~Cameron

Kris

In article <btlrn4$cm$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Cameron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Standards-compliant browsers sees a MIME type (servers are generally
> > configured to send certain MIME for a certain extension, but the MIME
> > type can be configured in almost any way possible) or text/html (or
> > applicaition/xml+xhtml for XHTML) to know that it's an HTML file. Even
> > stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.
> >

> actually MSIE is too stupid I created a HTML file with the extension
> .foo went into IE got the context menu up, went into properties and the
> type said "Not Available", changed the ext to .html went in and it said
> Microsoft HTML Document 5.0, so there is some truth in the fact that
> some browsers do take the file ext into account, but not when rendering,
> mozilla firebird however could not be fooled, obviously

But did your webserver know what MIME type to send for the file?

--
Kris
(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)

Cameron

Kris wrote:

> In article <btlrn4$cm$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Cameron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>>Standards-compliant browsers sees a MIME type (servers are generally
>>>configured to send certain MIME for a certain extension, but the MIME
>>>type can be configured in almost any way possible) or text/html (or
>>>applicaition/xml+xhtml for XHTML) to know that it's an HTML file. Even
>>>stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.
>>>

>>actually MSIE is too stupid I created a HTML file with the extension
>>.foo went into IE got the context menu up, went into properties and the
>>type said "Not Available", changed the ext to .html went in and it said
>>Microsoft HTML Document 5.0, so there is some truth in the fact that
>>some browsers do take the file ext into account, but not when rendering,
>>mozilla firebird however could not be fooled, obviously

> But did your webserver know what MIME type to send for the file?

Actually interesting lol, before I didn't upload it to my web server I
just created the file on my HDD now I have uploaded it different results
have occurred, a html file with the .foo extension renders fine in MSIE
but the type is now "FOO File" lol, not only that but accessing it with
Mozilla Firebird causes the page not to be rendered but rather the HTML
content to be displayed as if it were a text file.

http://www.eporcupine.co.uk/index.foo

Web server is Apache.

~Cameron