Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE and PNG

IE and PNG

Derek Clarkson

Hi all,
As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my web pages
in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
black background rather than showing what is behind them.

How can I fix this ?

And please don't say convert to GIF, I'm not going to destroy the look of my
site because M$ can't keep up with the rest of the world

--
cio
Derek

floortje

"Derek Clarkson" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my

web pages
> in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
> black background rather than showing what is behind them.
>
> How can I fix this ?

U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

Floortje

floortje

> "Derek Clarkson" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> And please don't say convert to GIF, I'm not going to destroy the look of

my
> site because M$ can't keep up with the rest of the world

Ok u make ur site for the 15 people that actually use Opera. Dont give in to
Bill. !!!

Floortje

Derek Clarkson

floortje wrote:

> U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

--
cio
Derek

Spartanicus

Derek Clarkson wrote:

>As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test my web pages
>in IE. When I finally did I found that all my transparent PNG images had
>black background rather than showing what is behind them.
>
>How can I fix this ?

Use 256 colour palette png's. Apart from this issue you should avoid
alpha transparency unless you really need it because of their size.

--
Spartanicus

Bob Long

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Derek Clarkson <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi all,
> As I use linux systems I haven't had the opporuntity to test
> my web pages in IE. When I finally did I found that all my
> transparent PNG images had
> black background rather than showing what is behind them.
>
> How can I fix this ?
>
> And please don't say convert to GIF, I'm not going to destroy the
> look of my site because M$ can't keep up with the rest of the world

These may help:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapb...#msie-win-unix
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/

Bob Long

Andrew Cameron

Derek Clarkson wrote:
> floortje wrote:
>
>> U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no
>> transparanty.

> Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

You might hate IE with all your heart, but that's 90% of your viewers you're
excluding. Unless the site offers free gold to its visitors, nobody loses
out but you.

--
Andrew Cameron
"Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

Whitecrest

says...
> > U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

> Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

Both you ant the visitors will have to make a choice. Sadly, your
choice will negatively effect 90% of the visitors to your site that use
IE rather than the 2% that use Opera.

Not a business decision I would choose, but you are free to cater to the
people you like.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Michael Fesser

Andrew Cameron wrote:

>You might hate IE with all your heart, but that's 90% of your viewers you're
>excluding. Unless the site offers free gold to its visitors, nobody loses
>out but you.

I use PNG for some little transparency effects. IE doesn't get it, but
as long as the site is usable in IE I don't really care.

Micha

Kris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Whitecrest <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > U cant .... IE has limites support for png. That means no transparanty.

> > Nuts, oh well, I guess the IE users will just have to loose out.

> Both you ant the visitors will have to make a choice. Sadly, your
> choice will negatively effect 90% of the visitors to your site that use
> IE rather than the 2% that use Opera.
>
> Not a business decision I would choose, but you are free to cater to the
> people you like.

pomtidomtidom...

<http://www.mongus.net/pngInfo/>

Oops, did I just drop that URL?