Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > fixed

fixed

Bob

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:18:33 GMT, "Ghostmaster" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>OK i fixed the file problem, and changed the colors out. Is the colors ok?
>The errors on the page will go bye bye as soon as i get a replacement. I
>hope. The only link that works on the left is the Help for 95.
>

>http://www.learningpc4beginners.com

It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
large font look a lot better appearance wise.

Ghostmaster

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
:
: It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
: for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
: a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
: large font look a lot better appearance wise.
:

A lot of times when i do stuff it is by trial and error. See the
following...

A:link {color: "#000000"}
A:visited {color: "#336666"}
A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
A:active {color: "#800000"}
A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}

A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So do
I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?

Toby A Inkster

Ghostmaster wrote:

> A:link {color: "#000000"}
> A:visited {color: "#336666"}
> A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
> A:active {color: "#800000"}
> A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}

This is very wrong. Try instead:

a:link {
color: #000;
font-family: Charlesworth;
}
a:visited { color: #366; }
a:hover { color: #8A2E2E; }
a:active { color: #800000; }

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Bob

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:11:41 GMT, "Ghostmaster" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
>the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So do
>I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
>this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?

As long as you understand that you are changing the font features for
_all_ the links if you put that in a "style" section or style file...

The problem is that the font has to be available on the user's system.
I don't know what Charlesworth looks like, but I know I don't have it.
You might want to specify a list of fonts for the browser to choose
from - or bite the bullet and do graphics for each title in your
favorite font (Charlesworth).

Ghostmaster

"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
: Ghostmaster wrote:
:
: > A:link {color: "#000000"}
: > A:visited {color: "#336666"}
: > A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
: > A:active {color: "#800000"}
: > A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}
:
: This is very wrong. Try instead:
:
: a:link {
: color: #000;
: font-family: Charlesworth;
: }
: a:visited { color: #366; }
: a:hover { color: #8A2E2E; }
: a:active { color: #800000; }
:
: --
: Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
: Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132
:
I can add several fonts incase they don't have it by just putting a comma
after each font right? or should it be a" ; "

Ghostmaster

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:11:41 GMT, "Ghostmaster" <(E-Mail Removed)>
: wrote:
:
: >A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
: >the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way. So
do
: >I have to put the font face in each link? or is their a easier way to do
: >this with the above, and I just missed target setting it up?
:
: As long as you understand that you are changing the font features for
: _all_ the links if you put that in a "style" section or style file...
:
: The problem is that the font has to be available on the user's system.
: I don't know what Charlesworth looks like, but I know I don't have it.
: You might want to specify a list of fonts for the browser to choose
: from - or bite the bullet and do graphics for each title in your
: favorite font (Charlesworth).
:

I am not sure now if i want to use Charlesworth as one of the fonts... If
you go to the page, at the bottom of the links section is a pic that says
"guestbook" The font I used for this is Charlesworth. This font is very
elaborate, but at the same time is crisp. However there is no lower case
for this font. Maybe I should reserve that font, and make a extra banner
for the top in that font? Or try it out, I am not sure. I love that font
though.

Toby A Inkster

Ghostmaster wrote:

> I can add several fonts incase they don't have it by just putting a comma
> after each font right?

Yes, but put quote marks about fonts that have spaces in their names. eg:

font-family: "Nimbus Sans", "Trebuchet MS", Arial, sans-serif;

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Ghostmaster

redone. http://www.learningpc4beginners.com some won't be able to see
some of the changes. That will change after I get up enough nerve to make
all those buttons.
:

rf

"Ghostmaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hbgLb.33128$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> --
>

> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> :
> : It's OK, but drab. You might want to consider a different font family
> : for the headings and left column links. If you do the main heading in
> : a drawing program (a graphic) you can anti-alias the text and make the
> : large font look a lot better appearance wise.
> :
>

> A lot of times when i do stuff it is by trial and error.

The only time when trial and error works is then you emply an infinite
number of monkeys

You should go over to the specifications at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/

> See the
> following...
>
> A:link {color: "#000000"}
> A:visited {color: "#336666"}
> A:hover {color: "#8A2E2E"}
> A:active {color: "#800000"}
> A:font {face: "Charlesworth"}
>
> A:font {face: "Charlesworth"} I thought this is what I needed to change
> the font type for the links. Apparently this is not the right way.

This is correct. It is not the right way. There is no :font pseudo element.

a {font-family: Charlesworth;}
A:link {color: #000000}
A:visited {color: #336666}
A:hover {color: #8A2E2E}
A:active {color: #800000}

However, this won't work anyway. I don't have a font called Charlesworth on
my computer.

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:26:30 GMT, Ghostmaster declared in alt.html:

> I am not sure now if i want to use Charlesworth as one of the fonts... If
> you go to the page, at the bottom of the links section is a pic that says
> "guestbook" The font I used for this is Charlesworth. This font is very
> elaborate, but at the same time is crisp. However there is no lower case
> for this font. Maybe I should reserve that font, and make a extra banner
> for the top in that font? Or try it out, I am not sure. I love that font
> though.

Judging from my own computer, and a number of other responses here, very
few of your visitors will have that font, anyway, so they aren't going
to get the effect that you want. If you *really* want your visitors to
see that font, you will need to make it an image. But images of text are
a poor replacement for real text.

There's nothing stopping you from specifying that as the first font, but
you shouldn't expect that your visitors will necessarily see it.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au