Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Sound Files in Netscape

Sound Files in Netscape

Sharon

I remember hearing that sound files do not work the same in Netscape as
they do in IE. When I had a small home page a couple of years ago it
seems to me that I had to insert a separate html code to make sound work
in Netscape but now I can't remember what it was nor can I find the
information. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am using
Mozilla 1.4.1 bit it basically works the same as Netscape.

Sharon

Spartanicus

--
Spartanicus

DU

Sharon wrote:
> I remember hearing that sound files do not work the same in Netscape as
> they do in IE. When I had a small home page a couple of years ago it
> seems to me that I had to insert a separate html code to make sound work
> in Netscape but now I can't remember what it was nor can I find the
> information. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am using
> Mozilla 1.4.1 bit it basically works the same as Netscape.
>
> Sharon

It is recommended to use the HTML 4.01 Object element and to code
sub-elements params; don't use <embed>. You can examine the code in this
page and ask questions in this thread.

Testing sound (audio/midi content-type) in Netscape 7
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...Netscape7.html

DU

Sharon

Spartanicus wrote:

> Sharon wrote:
>

>>I remember hearing that sound files do not work the same in Netscape as
>>they do in IE. When I had a small home page a couple of years ago it
>>seems to me that I had to insert a separate html code to make sound work
>>in Netscape but now I can't remember what it was nor can I find the
>>information. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am using
>>Mozilla 1.4.1 bit it basically works the same as Netscape.

Thanks! I'll give it a try and see what happens

Sharon

Sharon

DU wrote:

> Sharon wrote:
>
>> I remember hearing that sound files do not work the same in Netscape
>> as they do in IE. When I had a small home page a couple of years ago
>> it seems to me that I had to insert a separate html code to make sound
>> work in Netscape but now I can't remember what it was nor can I find
>> the information. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am
>> using Mozilla 1.4.1 bit it basically works the same as Netscape.
>>
>> Sharon
>>

> It is recommended to use the HTML 4.01 Object element and to code
> sub-elements params; don't use <embed>. You can examine the code in this
> page and ask questions in this thread.
>
> Testing sound (audio/midi content-type) in Netscape 7
> http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...Netscape7.html
>
> DU

Thanks for the reply and the url for the testing site. I'm not sure
exactly how it works though. I'm pretty new to HTML.

Sharon

DU

Sharon wrote:

> DU wrote:
>
>> Sharon wrote:
>>
>>> I remember hearing that sound files do not work the same in Netscape
>>> as they do in IE. When I had a small home page a couple of years ago
>>> it seems to me that I had to insert a separate html code to make
>>> sound work in Netscape but now I can't remember what it was nor can I
>>> find the information. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I
>>> am using Mozilla 1.4.1 bit it basically works the same as Netscape.
>>>
>>> Sharon
>>>

>> It is recommended to use the HTML 4.01 Object element and to code
>> sub-elements params; don't use <embed>. You can examine the code in
>> this page and ask questions in this thread.
>>
>> Testing sound (audio/midi content-type) in Netscape 7
>> http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...Netscape7.html
>>
>> DU

> Thanks for the reply and the url for the testing site. I'm not sure
> exactly how it works though. I'm pretty new to HTML.
>
> Sharon

First give the url of your page and we will give you feedback,
suggestions, recommendations, test your page, etc.. The testpage I did
was for audio/midi support.

DU

Spartanicus

DU wrote:

>Testing sound (audio/midi content-type) in Netscape 7
>http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...Netscape7.html

You attempt to quote a web resource on that page, not only did you
mangle the code, it's also completely missing the point of the original
page: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

--
Spartanicus

Sharon

Spartanicus wrote:
> DU wrote:
>

>>Testing sound (audio/midi content-type) in Netscape 7
>>http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...Netscape7.html

> You attempt to quote a web resource on that page, not only did you
> mangle the code, it's also completely missing the point of the original
> page: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

According to this link it is better not to imbed, which makes sense. Is
there an HTML code that will give the viewer the option to click to
play a wav or midi if he wants to? Does this involve more than a hyperlink?

Sharon

Spartanicus

Sharon wrote:

>According to this link it is better not to imbed, which makes sense. Is
>there an HTML code that will give the viewer the option to click to
>play a wav or midi if he wants to? Does this involve more than a hyperlink?

A link is all that is needed (use an image if you prefer), make sure the
web server issues the correct mime type for the midi file (audio/midi).

--
Spartanicus