Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Simple way to create a sub menu

Simple way to create a sub menu

Nico Schuyt

My customer asked me to split up the menu of http://www.cartal.nl
I adviced him to use a non-js menu where the sub menu is hidden and shown
when a link is clicked (stylesheet switch with php; Like in
http://www.cartal.nl/menu_js/menu_php.php ; Click the main 2 link), but he
insists to have a sub menu on mouseover. Of course it should also work when
js is disabled.

A menu like the one on http://www.sidv.nl/index.htm is *way too complex* for
me so I started with the menu generator on
http://www.webdevtips.com/dropmenu/
Test file in http://www.cartal.nl/menu_js/ seems to work. The javascript
(view-source:http://www.cartal.nl/menu_js/cbddm.js ; 400 lines of code)
however still is beyond my knowledge of js (I hate complex coding

Can someone point me to a simpler solution?
Nico

Chris Harris

> Test file in http://www.cartal.nl/menu_js/ seems to work. The javascript
> (view-source:http://www.cartal.nl/menu_js/cbddm.js ; 400 lines of code)
> however still is beyond my knowledge of js (I hate complex coding
>
> Can someone point me to a simpler solution?
> Nico

This looks promising, needs more work though.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns

Chris

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:43:48 +0100, "Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Of course it should also work when
>js is disabled.

When I've had to do this, I've coded something that's big and ugly,
but works with non-js.

Then there's a js window_onload event handler that hides most of it.
If they're running js, they don't see ti.
--
Smert' spamionam

Nico Schuyt

Chris Harris wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote:
>> Test file in http://www.cartal.nl/menu_js/ seems to work. The
>> javascript (view-source:http://www.cartal.nl/menu_js/cbddm.js ; 400
>> lines of code) however still is beyond my knowledge of js (I hate
>> complex coding
>> Can someone point me to a simpler solution?

> This looks promising, needs more work though.
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns

Promising indeed. Thanks for the link!
Nico

Nico Schuyt

Andy Dingley wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote:

>> Of course it should also work when
>> js is disabled.

> When I've had to do this, I've coded something that's big and ugly,
> but works with non-js.
> Then there's a js window_onload event handler that hides most of it.
> If they're running js, they don't see ti.

Ehhhh, how does this solve my menu problem?
Nico

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:44:12 +0100, "Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ehhhh, how does this solve my menu problem?

You have two menus - one js, one non-js.

Initially the non-js one is visible (and maybe ugly), the js one is
invisible

On loading the page, _if_ js is running, then the non-js menu is
uninstalled and the js menu is installed / made visible.

--
Smert' spamionam

Nico Schuyt

Andy Dingley wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote:

>> Ehhhh, how does this solve my menu problem?

> You have two menus - one js, one non-js.
> Initially the non-js one is visible (and maybe ugly), the js one is
> invisible
> On loading the page, _if_ js is running, then the non-js menu is
> uninstalled and the js menu is installed / made visible.

Ah, I see Do you have an example of it?
Nico