Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > link to database very slow

link to database very slow

joe

hi guys,
i've created a database. when i access this directly or from a
shortcut, say put on the desktop, it opens quickly. but when i access it via
a link on a simple html page (not from the web or anything fancy just a
simple html page that is only used as a simple access method for the user
that sits on the same network drive as the database) it takes a long time to
open.
i can put the shortcut in the same folder as the html page... fine, use
the link on the page... very slow.

a strange one? any ideas?

regards
joe

The astounding Kwyjibo.

And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
fruit bats, and "joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> spake, saying

> hi guys,
> i've created a database. when i access this directly or
> from a
> shortcut, say put on the desktop, it opens quickly. but when i access
> it via a link on a simple html page (not from the web or anything
> fancy just a simple html page that is only used as a simple access
> method for the user that sits on the same network drive as the
> database) it takes a long time to open.
> i can put the shortcut in the same folder as the html page...
> fine, use
> the link on the page... very slow.
>
> a strange one? any ideas?

I'm assuming from the X-posts that it's an access database.
Can you post the code for the page? Might help in diagnosing the problem

--

Kwyj.

Toby A Inkster

joe wrote:

> i've created a database. when i access this directly or from a
> shortcut, say put on the desktop, it opens quickly. but when i access it via
> a link on a simple html page (not from the web or anything fancy just a
> simple html page that is only used as a simple access method for the user
> that sits on the same network drive as the database) it takes a long time to
> open.

Presumably your browser is "downloading" (i.e. copying) the database to
your cache before trying to open it. That is your problem.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Desotuatail

If this is an access database on the server Give it a DNS entry on the server
with a name i.e. sample

then in your code. (Well something like this would work)

dsn = "sample"
Set connection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set rsStudent = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
sqlStudent = "SELECT * FROM Students WHERE Subject = maths"
rsStudent sqlStudent connection
..
..
..
response.write rsStudent ("Name")
..
..

Hope this consept is of any help

joe

hi toby,
any clues on how to get around this?
regards
joe

"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> joe wrote:
>
> > i've created a database. when i access this directly or from

> > shortcut, say put on the desktop, it opens quickly. but when i access it

via
> > a link on a simple html page (not from the web or anything fancy just a
> > simple html page that is only used as a simple access method for the

user
> > that sits on the same network drive as the database) it takes a long

time to
> > open.

> Presumably your browser is "downloading" (i.e. copying) the database to
> your cache before trying to open it. That is your problem.
>
> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
> Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

Toby A Inkster

joe wrote:

> any clues on how to get around this?

It is a normal part of your browser's operation. Just open the database
directly instead of via your browser.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

joe

the html page is use for links to commonly used tools
this is one of the main ones

"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> joe wrote:
>
> > any clues on how to get around this?

> It is a normal part of your browser's operation. Just open the database
> directly instead of via your browser.
>
> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
> Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

Hywel Jenkins

"joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<xlFKb.80739$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > joe wrote:
> >
> > > any clues on how to get around this?

> > It is a normal part of your browser's operation. Just open the database
> > directly instead of via your browser.

> the html page is use for links to commonly used tools
> this is one of the main ones

Then you can't speed it up, unless the file is cached. As someone has
already said - the browser is downloading the file and then opening
it.

--
Hywel