Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Which course to do

Which course to do

Sean

Hi

I am trying to decide what course to do. I have almost completed my
Win2k MCSA and am an IT Administrator for a community organisation. I
want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
HTML.

The choses I have in Australia are.

Cert IV IT Multimedia And Website Design and the Dip IT Multimedia
Integration & Website Dev.

I can only do these part time. The Cert IV is 3y and the Dip is 6y
p/t.

Can anyone suggest a way to achive my goals?

Thanks

Sean

Cameron

Sean wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to decide what course to do. I have almost completed my
> Win2k MCSA and am an IT Administrator for a community organisation. I
> want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
> website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
> learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
> HTML.
>
> The choses I have in Australia are.
>
> Cert IV IT Multimedia And Website Design and the Dip IT Multimedia
> Integration & Website Dev.
>
> I can only do these part time. The Cert IV is 3y and the Dip is 6y
> p/t.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to achive my goals?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sean

Well if you wish to become adapt at website design and maintenance you
really need to be able to write HTML very well and as close to the
specifications set down by the w3c as you can.

~Cameron

Steve R.

Sean wrote in message ...
> I am trying to decide what course to do.

Sean you have Multi-Posted this message to several newsgroups.

Please read below why you shouldn't Multi-Post, but you should Cross-Post
instead.

Crosspost, don't multipost

Why and how to crosspost

Fredo Vincentis

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi
>
> I am trying to decide what course to do. I have almost completed my
> Win2k MCSA and am an IT Administrator for a community organisation. I
> want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
> website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
> learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
> HTML.
>
> The choses I have in Australia are.
>
> Cert IV IT Multimedia And Website Design and the Dip IT Multimedia
> Integration & Website Dev.

Can I ask where in Australia you are located? I can give you advise in
Melbourne and area, but not sure about other states.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:26:36 +1100, Sean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to decide what course to do.

Try for one where you learn something, rather than one where you gain
a qualification. Maybe Australia is different, but in the UK and the
USA there are no well-regarded qualifications. Experience gets you a
job, rather than skill, but either is better than paperwork.

>want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
>website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
>learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
>HTML.

That's not a bad start. Then you'll be needing Cynicism 101, and some
background on the underlying standards. Much depends on whether you
want to understand HTML, or whether you want a job (there are very few
jobs in understanding HTML).

Most jobs are in dumbly driving tools like Dreamweaver. For most
purposes, this suffices (for Dreamweaver today is a lot better than
the older tools). If you want to _understand_ though (which isn't as
useful as you'd hope) then try reading the source material itself -
the W3C recs.

>I can only do these part time. The Cert IV is 3y and the Dip is 6y
>p/t.

3 or 6 _years_ ? I can't imagine any useful web course on that
timescale - it would be obsolete by the time you got to the end of it.

--
Smert' spamionam

Sean

Hi

I am in Melbourne (Aspendale) south eastern suburbs.

Thanks

Sean

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 01:41:27 +1100, "Fredo Vincentis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am trying to decide what course to do. I have almost completed my
>> Win2k MCSA and am an IT Administrator for a community organisation. I
>> want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
>> website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
>> learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
>> HTML.
>>
>> The choses I have in Australia are.
>>
>> Cert IV IT Multimedia And Website Design and the Dip IT Multimedia
>> Integration & Website Dev.

>Can I ask where in Australia you are located? I can give you advise in
>Melbourne and area, but not sure about other states.

Fredo Vincentis

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi
>
> I am in Melbourne (Aspendale) south eastern suburbs.

Swinburne is a pretty good place to go to . They have got a wide range of
courses and subjects from which you can chose. You could do a Multimedia
course, as they allow you to chose from a broad range of courses.

If you want to start with an introduction to server-side languages, have a
look at "The Internet & WWW". This won't cover HTML, but rather Javascript
and ASP.

They also offer a range of subjects on database design or server
maintenance, if you are interested in that.

Victoria University is a bit more oriented towards the Arts. They also offer
some multimedia courses, but they cover such things as Flash, Director and
Video as well as HTML.

RMIT I have heard is more technical again. But I am not quite sure about the
range of subjects or courses there.

Personally I would say look at Swinburne. Good teaching staff and wide range
of subjects.

Hope this helps.

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 01:41:27 +1100, "Fredo Vincentis"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I am trying to decide what course to do. I have almost completed my
> >> Win2k MCSA and am an IT Administrator for a community organisation. I
> >> want to do a course that will get me up speed fairly quickly with
> >> website design/maintenance database maintenance. I am currently
> >> learning to use dreamweaver MX 2004 and have a basic understanding of
> >> HTML.
> >>
> >> The choses I have in Australia are.
> >>
> >> Cert IV IT Multimedia And Website Design and the Dip IT Multimedia
> >> Integration & Website Dev.

> >Can I ask where in Australia you are located? I can give you advise in
> >Melbourne and area, but not sure about other states.

Sean

That you all for your advice and recommendations.