Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > link same color as text

link same color as text

chris

is there a way to make links the same color as the text it is next to

on the page i have it has several color text so its not as simple as setting
the color at the top of the page - can you set it not to have a color
assigned so it takes on the current color in that section of the page ??

i hope this makes scence

thanks

Toby A Inkster

chris wrote:

> can you set it not to have a color
> assigned so it takes on the current color in that section of the page ??

Yes:

a { color: inherit; }

but why? People won't be able to tell where the links are?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Steve R.

chris wrote in message ...
> is there a way to make links the same color as the text it is next to

I could tell you, but I won't as if I do, and you follow the instructions,
nobody will know which of your words in your text are links.

That wouldn't be very helpful, would it ?

Chuck

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 08:04:37 GMT, "Steve R."
<stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>chris wrote in message ...
>> is there a way to make links the same color as the text it is next to

>I could tell you, but I won't as if I do, and you follow the instructions,
>nobody will know which of your words in your text are links.
>
>That wouldn't be very helpful, would it ?

Not necessarily. Sometimes I like to identify my [links] as so in a
body of text. Also unless he uses "textdecoration:none;" it will still
be underlined.

Sure there are some here that would like all links to be that ugly
shade of blue and remain underlined, but sometimes a small sacrifice
in usability is made for stylistic reasons.

For one of my pages, I had my links the same color as my text, with no
underlining, I did have them [identified] as so, and had them change
color on mouseover. It's my personal page, so if someone can't figure
it out, what do I care? If it's work done for someone else, you simply
give them the usability spiel, and if they still want the links hard
to find, then it's their money.

-Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
Spread love and understanding...
but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
-Alex Ross

kchayka

Chuck wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 08:04:37 GMT, "Steve R."
> <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>chris wrote in message ...
>>> is there a way to make links the same color as the text it is next to

> unless he uses "textdecoration:none;" it will still be underlined.

You shouldn't assume so, it depends on the UA. Most graphical browsers
have user settings for default link styles, underlining is often optional.

--
To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
address is considered spam and automatically deleted.