Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Skinning a site using Dreamweaver

Skinning a site using Dreamweaver

Just saw on the net at someone's site that you can skin the site.
Can anyone please recommend a tutorial on how to do it and what the
minimum requirements are for it? I would like to allow my user to be
able to change the colour scheme and perhaps the logo/pic that is on
each page.
My site is simple html and so am not sure if I have PHP "access" (not
sure of the terminology there!)
Any help appreciated.

brucie

in post <news:3ff6cbae$0$61054$(E-Mail Removed) t>
said:

> Just saw on the net at someone's site that you can skin the site.
> Can anyone please recommend a tutorial on how to do it and what the
> minimum requirements are for it?

just use different css files. a bit of server side scripting to change
between them. easy peasy.

you could use client side scripting but that wouldn't be very smart or
<link rel="alternate stylesheet" ...> but its only supported by modern
browsers and the implementation is stupid (styles not retained between
pages if still available)

> I would like to allow my user to be able to change the colour scheme
> and perhaps the logo/pic that is on each page.

simple demo that just changes the background color:
http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.in...ger-thingy.php

more advanced:
http://balls.bruciesusenetshit.info/
http://butterflies.bruciesusenetshit.info/

> My site is simple html and so am not sure if I have PHP "access" (not
> sure of the terminology there!)

you'll need server side support. if your host doesn't supply what you
need move hosts.

--
brucie
04/January/2004 12:05:59 am kilo

kayodeok

"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3ff6cbae$0$61054$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Just saw on the net at someone's site that you can skin the
> site. Can anyone please recommend a tutorial on how to do it and
> what the minimum requirements are for it? I would like to allow
> my user to be able to change the colour scheme and perhaps the
> logo/pic that is on each page.
> My site is simple html and so am not sure if I have PHP "access"
> (not sure of the terminology there!)

Have a look at:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/phpswitch/
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/alternate/
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Multiple_style_sheets

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Storyman

Kayode,

Thank you for posting the links. I've been looking for articles like these.

Richard

Site Skinning damiensawyer@yahoo.com.au ASP .Net 1 05-21-2008 04:29 PM
Skinning CommandField JJ ASP .Net 2 11-22-2006 08:09 PM
how to edit Dreamweaver pages without dreamweaver? Jason HTML 25 01-09-2005 02:06 PM
Skinning Again: Which is best, jXUL, XUL, or what? Thomas G. Marshall Java 15 02-17-2004 03:32 PM
Application skinning PERCIVAL BRAGG Java 4 07-09-2003 03:00 PM

Advertisments