Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Which fixed size (width) font are usable/recommendable ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Which fixed size (width) font are usable/recommendable ?

 
 
Arthur Connor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2004
I want to embed some source code lines in an article on a web page.
As usual I want to use a fixed sized font for this souce code lines (read: the letters should
have all the same width).

The font normally used when I declare a <PRE>...</PRE> tag is very ugly.

Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

Arty

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2004
In article <bt3ef6$80d$05$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> I want to embed some source code lines in an article on a web page.
> As usual I want to use a fixed sized font for this souce code lines (read: the letters should
> have all the same width).
>
> The font normally used when I declare a <PRE>...</PRE> tag is very ugly.
>
> Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?


How will you know whether the code has been rendered in the font you
choose by your visitors' user agent?

<pre> has been deprecated, by the way. Try CSS:
http://tinyurl.com/2paay

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Whitecrest
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> How will you know whether the code has been rendered in the font you
> choose by your visitors' user agent?


Yo don't, but the real question is do I care?

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2004
Hywel Jenkins wrote:

> <pre> has been deprecated, by the way.


Since when?

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2004
In article <bt4l28$dqg$1$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>
> > <pre> has been deprecated, by the way.

>
> Since when?


Arse. I mis-read the spec., reading the bit about the "width"
attribute. My mistake - it's cream cheese.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2004
Arthur Connor wrote:

> Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?


See the CodeStyle.org font survey for commonly installed fonts:

http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/index.shtml

I would recommend the following CSS:

pre {
font-family: "Lucida Console", monospace;
}

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2004
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:00:10 +0000, Toby A Inkster
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Arthur Connor wrote:
>
>> Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

>
>See the CodeStyle.org font survey for commonly installed fonts:
>
> http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/index.shtml
>
>I would recommend the following CSS:
>
>pre {
>
>}


Nice site.

I might expand that CSS a little:

"Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2004
Bob wrote:

> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>
>> Arthur Connor wrote:
>>
>>> Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

>>
>> I would recommend the following CSS:
>> pre { font-family: "Lucida Console", monospace; }

>
> I might expand that CSS a little:
> "Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"


The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
generic monospace font?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam Hughes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2004
Toby A Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Bob wrote:
>
>> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>>
>>> Arthur Connor wrote:
>>>
>>>> Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?
>>>
>>> I would recommend the following CSS:
>>> pre { font-family: "Lucida Console", monospace; }

>>
>> I might expand that CSS a little:
>> "Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"

>
> The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
> generic monospace font?
>


Whatever.

How about we throw in some more fixed-width fonts

"Andale Mono", "Lucida Console", "OCR A Extended", "Fixedsys",
"Terminal", "Courier", monospace;

Added Courier in there because it is slightly different than Courier New
.

Not sure about the beauty of Terminal and Fixedsys though .
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2004
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:37:28 +0000, Toby A Inkster
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>
>> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>>
>>> Arthur Connor wrote:
>>>
>>>> Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?
>>>
>>> I would recommend the following CSS:
>>> pre { font-family: "Lucida Console", monospace; }

>>
>> I might expand that CSS a little:
>> "Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"

>
>The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
>generic monospace font?


The reason I included Courier New is that it is actually a more
attractive font than Courier. Also, it is a last resort at
actually choosing a font instead of just picking up a default.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
creating font with fixed font size andreasbell Software 1 08-30-2010 09:39 PM
Swing Font, it's Java Font? ot native? how install new font? mttc Java 2 07-03-2009 07:29 PM
Printing with specific font-type and font-size wial Java 2 11-27-2008 05:30 PM
Windows XP explorer font and font size Lookout Computer Support 0 06-04-2006 02:58 AM
Selecting font size based on available font dave richards HTML 2 02-19-2004 02:47 PM



Advertisments