Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > PDF Won't load locally in IE6

PDF Won't load locally in IE6

Jeremy's Dad

I have a weird problem I can't seem to resolve. IE6 will load a PDF file
from a web site just fine. Any local PDF file will not load however.
Mozilla will load the file just fine so I kno wmy link is correct.

Any ideas or known problems?

Thanks

Gary

brucie

in post <news:Xns94628A3A9DBB2jsdadrogerscom@66.185.95.104 >
Jeremy's Dad said:

> I have a weird problem I can't seem to resolve. IE6 will load a PDF file
> from a web site just fine. Any local PDF file will not load however.

i cant recreate the problem. doesn't matter if the pdf is viewed in the
browser or opens the viewer.

--
brucie
01/January/2004 08:45:20 am kilo

Jeremy's Dad

Brucie,

> i cant recreate the problem. doesn't matter if the pdf is viewed in
> the browser or opens the viewer.

Just to make sure I haven't mistated my problem..... PDF files on the web
open just fine. If a PDF file is on my hard drive, IE6 won't do a thing.

This is part of a small tool I'm putting together for a class I teach at a
local Community College. A long search of text books found nothing
useful/affordable so I am putting togther a CD-ROM with all the documents
we will be studying.

So far, my prototype refuses to open the local PDF files under IE but works
fine in Mozilla. Go figure.....

Thanks

Gary

brucie

in post <news:Xns9462BA7DD50E5jsdadrogerscom@66.185.95.104 >
Jeremy's Dad said:

>> i cant recreate the problem. doesn't matter if the pdf is viewed in
>> the browser or opens the viewer.

> Just to make sure I haven't mistated my problem..... PDF files on the web
> open just fine. If a PDF file is on my hard drive, IE6 won't do a thing.

i was opening local pdf's.

i used file > open, clicked on a link on a local page and also went
through a local server to open them. they all worked.

--
brucie
01/January/2004 09:19:59 am kilo

Jeremy's Dad

Brucie,

> i used file > open, clicked on a link on a local page and also went
> through a local server to open them. they all worked.

Just for fun, I even tried to reinstall IE6. I'm flumoxed.....

I'll be suggesting my students try a different browser if they have a
problem using IE6 and will include Mozilla in a directory on the CD.

Thanks for checking into my issue! Happy New Year

Ian Rastall

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:18:18 GMT, Jeremy's Dad wrote:

> Just to make sure I haven't mistated my problem..... PDF files on the web
> open just fine. If a PDF file is on my hard drive, IE6 won't do a thing.

They probably assume you'll be opening PDF files in Adobe
Reader/Acrobat, if the files are local, since this is what users
would usually do.

Ian
--
http://www.aspipes.org/