Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > XHTML 1.1 strict validation of <THEAD> and <TFOOT>

XHTML 1.1 strict validation of <THEAD> and <TFOOT>

Woolly Mittens

I tried validating my gallery page using the w3c validator.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ry%2Findex.asp

To my surprise it informed me that <tfoot> wasn't valid XHTML 1.1 strict,
while it is in the document definition:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modulariz...#s_tablemodule

My <thead> tag apparently was valid, while my <tfoot> wasn't.

I would appreciate it if anyone could clarify the matter.

Greetings,
Maurice van Creij

Steve Pugh

"Woolly Mittens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I tried validating my gallery page using the w3c validator.
>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ry%2Findex.asp
>
>To my surprise it informed me that <tfoot> wasn't valid XHTML 1.1 strict,
>while it is in the document definition:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modulariz...#s_tablemodule
>
>My <thead> tag apparently was valid, while my <tfoot> wasn't.

tfoot must come _before_ tbody, not after it. This causes problems
with browsers that don't support tfoot properly as they will display
the contents of the footer before the body.

So either have a valid page which may cause problems in older browsers
or an invalid page which may cause problems in browsers that apply the
standards exactly. Not using tfoot at all may be the best compromise.

BTW, there is no XHTML 1.1 strict. XHTML 1.1 exists in only one
version. The restriction on where tfoot can go is in all versions of
(x)html that include tfoot.

Steve

SteW

Woolly Mittens wrote:
> I tried validating my gallery page using the w3c validator.
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ry%2Findex.asp
>
> To my surprise it informed me that <tfoot> wasn't valid XHTML 1.1 strict,
> while it is in the document definition:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modulariz...#s_tablemodule
>
> My <thead> tag apparently was valid, while my <tfoot> wasn't.
>
> I would appreciate it if anyone could clarify the matter.
>
> Greetings,
> Maurice van Creij

"TFOOT must appear before TBODY within a TABLE definition so that user
agents can render the foot before receiving all of the (potentially
numerous) rows of data."

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/....html#h-11.2.3

Ste W

brucie

in post <news:3ff31271$0$184$(E-Mail Removed)>
Woolly Mittens said:

> I tried validating my gallery page using the w3c validator.

i know

Crosspost, don't multipost
Why and how to crosspost

brucie
01/January/2004 08:33:18 am kilo

Woolly Mittens

Thanks for the replies everybody.

But I still think it's odd to put the footer before the body.
Wouldn't that mess up the reading order in text-browsers?

Woolly Mittens

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:bsvitc$1qjf2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Crosspost, don't multipost

The world would be a better place if you would answer questions, instead of
playing netiquette police with a holier than thou attitude.

brucie

in post <news:3ff3dcb7$0$16870$(E-Mail Removed)>
Woolly Mittens said:

>> Crosspost, don't multipost

> The world would be a better place if you would answer questions,

how do people know the question hasn't already been answered in another
group and they would just be wasting their time repeating what someone
else has already said?

> instead of playing netiquette police

you'll never learn if you're never told

--
brucie
01/January/2004 07:07:12 pm kilo

Toby A Inkster

Woolly Mittens wrote:

> But I still think it's odd to put the footer before the body.

Yeah, it is odd, but that's how it's done.

> Wouldn't that mess up the reading order in text-browsers?

Yep -- but many text browsers don't understand tables anyway.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Toby A Inkster

Woolly Mittens wrote:

> The world would be a better place if you would answer questions, instead of
> playing netiquette police with a holier than thou attitude.

But if you multipost it means that different people will answer you in
different newsgroups, thereby creating extra work for those people kind
enough to answer your questions. Multiposting is plain inconsiderate.
Crosspost instead.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

David Dorward

Woolly Mittens wrote:

> But I still think it's odd to put the footer before the body.
> Wouldn't that mess up the reading order in text-browsers?

Only if the text browser doesn't understand HTML 4 or newer.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

XHTML Strict and Javascript Form Validation Robert Smith Javascript 3 12-01-2004 02:56 AM
strict xhtml and css MWSunshine HTML 19 07-08-2004 09:22 AM
img alignment in xhtml strict and css Kelwin Delaunay HTML 4 04-17-2004 05:41 PM
XHTML Strict and Script Tom HTML 6 11-15-2003 07:12 PM
XHTML strict and no-cache meta tags sionvalais XML 1 09-14-2003 11:02 AM

Advertisments