Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Recommend a GUI app for newbie webdesigner

Recommend a GUI app for newbie webdesigner

Duende

While sitting in a puddle John Hood scribbled in the mud:

> Tiger wrote:
>
>> Bob Adkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Some people have another life and don't have time to learn HTML.
>>>They just want to throw up a family-orineted web page. What do you
>>>recommend for them?
>>>

>> Encouraging their children to learn html. Beyond that, there are
>> literally hundreds of downloadable tutorials to which one can refer
>> while building a page. It's not C++...it doesn't take a rocket
>> scientist or hours and hours of study or practice. If one can find
>> the time to post regularly to usenet and surf the web, one can easily
>> learn html without neglecting that "other" life. Personally, I would
>> discourage anyone from building mediocre web pages.

> I have a web site. I do not know HTML and have no interest in

learning.
> The guy who built the site was kind enough to comment the HTML source
> with "Start menu options here" "Start single menu option" "End Single
> Menu option" "End menu options here" "Start main page" "Don't put
> anything below this point"
>
> I have copied and pasted to my heart's content, I'm very happy with the
> pages. I use HTML kit which let's me flip from edit to view quickly.
>
> There are other ways besides "Learn HTML"

Nope.

--
Duende
The best defense against logic is ignorance.

Adrian Wood

"Duende" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> While sitting in a puddle John Hood scribbled in the mud:
> >
> > There are other ways besides "Learn HTML"

> Nope.
>
> --
> Duende
> The best defense against logic is ignorance.

What a delightfully ironic signature!

There ARE other ways, including getting ready-made HTML-complaint pages and
just slotting your own text and links into them... it's just that the *best*
way (by far) is to learn HTML.

Of course, maybe one day someone will make a GUI HTML editor that actually
complies with the format and doesn't add lots of guff. Heh. Yeah, and maybe
someone will make a mobile browser that's properly CSS compliant and runs on
all mobile devices.

--
Adrian
My mobile links page;

David Dorward

Adrian Wood wrote:

>>> There are other ways besides "Learn HTML"

> There ARE other ways, including getting ready-made HTML-complaint pages
> and just slotting your own text and links into them... it's just that the
> *best* way (by far) is to learn HTML.

Getting ready made pages and slotting text into them might be suitable for a
content author - but there is a noticeable lack of the "design" part of
"webdesigner"

> Of course, maybe one day someone will make a GUI HTML editor that actually
> complies with the format and doesn't add lots of guff.

It is going to be quite a while before AI and language recognition software
is of high enough quality to accurately imply semantics from text.

Steven Burn

Adrian Wood <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> There ARE other ways, including getting ready-made HTML-complaint pages

and
> just slotting your own text and links into them... it's just that the

*best*
> way (by far) is to learn HTML.

Agreed, the bvest way is definately to learn how to write HTML/CSS etc etc,
yourself. This gives MUCH more control over your site's layout (and indeed,
the content)

> Of course, maybe one day someone will make a GUI HTML editor that actually
> complies with the format and doesn't add lots of guff. Heh. Yeah, and

maybe
> someone will make a mobile browser that's properly CSS compliant and runs

on
> all mobile devices.

There cannot and never will be, a program that does what your asking,
specifically because the "standards" change on an almost monthly basis (or
whenever W3C and the likes, decide they want to confuse people even more).

I personally write all of my site's/clients site's, in my own custom
programmed software (Mercury Editor, ACF Notes) and little bit's here and
there in Notepad, trying to stick with HTML 4.0/4.01 and CSS (no specific
version) as it's what I know (and because I've not come accross a browser
that cannot display it correctly), and have no intention of allowing W3C etc
etc, to dictate what I can and cannot write.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Toby A Inkster

Steven Burn wrote:

> There cannot and never will be, a program that does what your asking,
> specifically because the "standards" change on an almost monthly basis (or
> whenever W3C and the likes, decide they want to confuse people even more).

HTML 4.01 Strict hasn't changed since 1999.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

JanC

Ben Measures <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:

> Steven Burn wrote:

>> There cannot and never will be, a program that does what your asking,
>> specifically because the "standards" change on an almost monthly
>> basis (or whenever W3C and the likes, decide they want to confuse
>> people even more).

> Monthly basis? You must be looking at the draft revisions not the
> final recommendations.
>
> Just a few example release dates:
> XHTML™ 1.0 (Second Edition) - W3C Recommendation, revised 1 August 2002
> XHTML™ 1.1 - W3C Recommendation 31 May 2001
> XHTML™ 1.0 - W3C Recommendation 26 January 2000
> HTML 4.01 Specification - W3C Recommendation 24 December 1999
> HTML 4.0 Specification - W3C Recommendation, revised on 24-Apr-1998
> HTML 4.0 Specification - W3C Recommendation 18-Dec-1997
>
> Now I don't know about you but I count six HTML recommedations in five
> years. Doesn't appear monthly to me.

No, 4 standards in more than 6 years (1997-2004), the other 2 are revisions
that correct typo's, give more explanation on things that are often
misunderstood, etc.

Also, older standards stay valid as long as the webdesigner uses the
correct DOCTYPE.

--
JanC