Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Recommend a GUI app for newbie webdesigner

Recommend a GUI app for newbie webdesigner

Steve R.

Bob Adkins wrote in message ...
> Some people have another life and don't have time to learn HTML. They

just
> want to throw up a family-orineted web page. What do you recommend for

them?

Exactly - See if you can get hold of a copy of Frontpage Express or
Dreamweaver. Either will do what you want, even if some of the code is a
little bloated it will still work ok on 99.99% of browsers.

Steve.

SINNER

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.comp.freeware.]
* Steve R. Wrote in alt.comp.freeware, on 2003-12-31:
> Bob Adkins wrote in message ...
>> Some people have another life and don't have time to learn HTML. They

> just
>> want to throw up a family-orineted web page. What do you recommend for

> them?

> Exactly - See if you can get hold of a copy of Frontpage Express or
> Dreamweaver. Either will do what you want, even if some of the code is a
> little bloated it will still work ok on 99.99% of browsers.

That percentage is WAY off! It might work in 90% of peoples PC's because
90% use the same browser, but those programs will frequently break
HTML and hence it will not work in well over 50% of the browsers that
require compliant HTML code to render correctly.

--
David | AGM Favorite Games - http://tinyurl.com/loec
You may already be a loser.

JustAnotherGuy

Steven Burn wrote:
> I'm afraid I agree...... for beginners, Notepad is the best option.

Are you guys just playing the devil's advocate here?

Listen, most posters to this NG are at least slightly tech-inclined. We
can look within those curly braces and figure out what's going on.

I have a writer friend (ok, not WRITER, but teenage writer--you know,
one of those people who have to put their wannabe poetry on the web). It
took her THREE YEARS to learn basic HTML, and she's paranoid about
touching CSS despite my assertions that it makes life much, much easier.

Some people just can't learn to code, you know. Honestly: they can't put
the energy it requires for them to think outside their personal forte.
Telling them to learn HTML or not make sites is terribly elitist. Heck,
I'm sure you realise that the majority of computer users don't know how
to optimize their word-processed documents or make them look
professional, but you won't tell them to not try producing documents
until they know how to, would you?

Steven Burn

JustAnotherGuy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsvdv5$1rn6f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Steven Burn wrote:
> > I'm afraid I agree...... for beginners, Notepad is the best option.

> Are you guys just playing the devil's advocate here?

</snip>

No, not at all. I just personally feel Notepad is the best option.

<snip>
> Listen, most posters to this NG are at least slightly tech-inclined. We
> can look within those curly braces and figure out what's going on.

</snip>

I completely agree. I've personally come accross several thousand people
that make even myself look like the proverbial "newbie", and am proud to
have come accross them, but at the same time am proud to admit that I've
taken the time to teach myself everything that I do actually know (if that
makes sense?).

<snip>
> I have a writer friend (ok, not WRITER, but teenage writer--you know,
> one of those people who have to put their wannabe poetry on the web). It
> took her THREE YEARS to learn basic HTML, and she's paranoid about
> touching CSS despite my assertions that it makes life much, much easier.
>
> Some people just can't learn to code, you know. Honestly: they can't put
> the energy it requires for them to think outside their personal forte.
> Telling them to learn HTML or not make sites is terribly elitist. Heck,
> I'm sure you realise that the majority of computer users don't know how
> to optimize their word-processed documents or make them look
> professional, but you won't tell them to not try producing documents
> until they know how to, would you?

</snip>

I think I've been mis-construed here. I didn't mean for people to NOT build
website's if they didn't want to, or couldn't, learn HTML, CSS or whatever,
but instead, I meant, if cases such as this, it would be far easier to use a
template from one of the online hosts than to use a program that will do
everything for them (atleast using the online templates, they could say "I
did this" instead of, for example "DreamWeaver did this"......)

I am always, and will always, be for those that wish to become, or are
already, web dev's, and shall always help where needed, however, I don't see
the point in helping those that don't seem willing to help themselves (as an
example, just a couple of days ago, I got asked if I would insert some code
into a friends website, so it give a directory listing pragmatically. This
person couldn't even be bothered to ask "is there any code for......<yada
yada>" or "can you help me....<yada yada" and instead, wanted someone else
to do the work for him).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Tiger

JustAnotherGuy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bsvdv5$1rn6f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Steven Burn wrote:
>> I'm afraid I agree...... for beginners, Notepad is the best
>> option.

> Are you guys just playing the devil's advocate here?
>
> Listen, most posters to this NG are at least slightly
> tech-inclined. We can look within those curly braces and figure
> out what's going on.
>
> I have a writer friend (ok, not WRITER, but teenage writer--you
> know, one of those people who have to put their wannabe poetry on
> the web). It took her THREE YEARS to learn basic HTML, and she's
> paranoid about touching CSS despite my assertions that it makes
> life much, much easier.
>
> Some people just can't learn to code, you know. Honestly: they
> can't put the energy it requires for them to think outside their
> personal forte. Telling them to learn HTML or not make sites is
> terribly elitist. Heck, I'm sure you realise that the majority of
> computer users don't know how to optimize their word-processed
> documents or make them look professional, but you won't tell them
> to not try producing documents until they know how to, would you?

Yes. There's nothing "elitist" about asking people to do things
correctly and well.

--
Tiger

"In the devil's theology, the important thing is to be absolutely
right and prove everyone else is absolutely wrong." - Thomas Merton

Bob Adkins

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:37:43 GMT, Tiger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Encouraging their children to learn html. Beyond that, there are
>literally hundreds of downloadable tutorials to which one can refer
>while building a page. It's not C++...it doesn't take a rocket
>scientist or hours and hours of study or practice. If one can find
>the time to post regularly to usenet and surf the web, one can easily
>learn html without neglecting that "other" life. Personally, I would
>discourage anyone from building mediocre web pages.

For 1 thing, most older people simply aren't inclined to take on such a
steep learning curve. I'm not ready to exclude such a large segment of
people. Many smart people are dyslexic at coding (and spelling for that
matter), and need a "crutch". I see nothing wrong with that. It's better to
walk with a crutch that not walk at all.

I used to code exclusively with a text editor, but get frustrated with
tables. I'm not a purist. I consider anything that reduces my coding time
and frustration a useful tool, and I'm not too proud to use it.

!!!Happy New Year!!!

Bob

Steven Burn

Bob Adkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:37:43 GMT, Tiger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
> For 1 thing, most older people simply aren't inclined to take on such a
> steep learning curve. I'm not ready to exclude such a large segment of
> people. Many smart people are dyslexic at coding (and spelling for that
> matter), and need a "crutch". I see nothing wrong with that. It's better

> walk with a crutch that not walk at all.
>
> I used to code exclusively with a text editor, but get frustrated with
> tables. I'm not a purist. I consider anything that reduces my coding time
> and frustration a useful tool, and I'm not too proud to use it.
>
> !!!Happy New Year!!!
>
> Bob

Bob,
I have absolutely nothing against people using such programs, aslong
as they are willing to take the time required, to also learn what they're
"codes" actually do, and how to put them together without such programs.
(i.e. in your case, you've learnt HTML........ which is what I was talking
about).

Once you've learnt how to code in HTML, you are then in a better position to
detect and eradicate incorrect or inaccurate code's that these programs
quite often generate.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Steven Burn

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ff303f9$0$61059$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I have designed a webpage for my friend and she would like to be able to
> update it herself but normally she does all ger newsletters in Publisher
> or Word.
> I know these programs can export to html but some of the html coding
> isn't much to be desired.
> Can anyone please recommend a (freeware) GUI app that she can use to do
> her own website/updates?
> Thanks
> PS - Some of the simpler apps are too basic so something with nice
> features but also simple to use.

See what you've started <vbg>

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Barry Pearson

Bob Adkins wrote:
[snip]
> For 1 thing, most older people simply aren't inclined to take on such
> a steep learning curve. I'm not ready to exclude such a large segment
> of people. Many smart people are dyslexic at coding (and spelling for
> that matter), and need a "crutch". I see nothing wrong with that.
> It's better to walk with a crutch that not walk at all.
>
> I used to code exclusively with a text editor, but get frustrated with
> tables. I'm not a purist. I consider anything that reduces my coding
> time and frustration a useful tool, and I'm not too proud to use it.

Quite!

Decades ago, I programmed computers in assembler. (And I could bootstrap from
the keys, and use a handpunch, correcting the cards by re-inserting the
chads!) I moved up from there to "high level languages" (several of). Then to
macro systems & declarative systems & logic programming. Now I use
applications where possible to hide all of that. Let other people worry about
it! I'll take their tools and use them. I want to work in the "solution
space", not the "implementation space".

I currently use DW4 for HTML, but often have to do things by hand. I use
notepad for CSS. What I really want is that within 5 years my (X)HTML and CSS
is untouched by my hands, and preferably unseen by my eyes. They are primitive
code that human beings should not be troubled by - except for the few who
provide tools for the rest of us.

There is no merit whatsoever in knowing the character-level coding of tags,
attributes, rules, properties, values, etc. At the very least there is a level
of abstraction above that which might know that (say) "paragraph" exists but
doesn't say what it looks like, or that a text colour may be mid-green without
bothering what the property & value for that are (and how they are encoded).
Tools could eliminate the possibility of unnested-tags, syntax errors &
finger-trouble at the atomic-construct level, etc.

But WYSIWYG techniques can work at a much higher level than that. The fact
that they have tended up to now to generate dodgy output doesn't mean that
they always will. Just as today's compilers are much better that those of a
generation ago. We need our best brains to develop high quality back-ends for
those tools.

What is the real "solution space" that we should be working in?

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

TKO

wrote:

> I have designed a webpage for my friend and she would like to be able to
> update it herself but normally she does all ger newsletters in Publisher
> or Word.
> I know these programs can export to html but some of the html coding
> isn't much to be desired.
> Can anyone please recommend a (freeware) GUI app that she can use to do
> her own website/updates?
> Thanks
> PS - Some of the simpler apps are too basic so something with nice
> features but also simple to use.

How bout Mozilla 1.5a Composer