Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > External CSS problem

External CSS problem

Whitecrest

In article <Xns9464E5BA54C79news4kayode@130.133.1.4>,
> > I personally would rather have the browsers fighting it out.
> > Each trying to out-do the other with features, pushing the web
> > ahead, rather than trying to get them all to conform to a
> > specific set of rules. Let the browsers and their users decide
> > what the standards are.

> Seems you may have been reading "How the Web was won" or something
> similar.[1]

Nope, never read it.

> How do you expect webmasters to cope with coding?

The exact same way we do now.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

kayodeok

Whitecrest <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

Nice trimming...but just for the record: you said:

> I personally would rather have the browsers fighting it out.
> Each trying to out-do the other with features, pushing the web
> ahead, rather than trying to get them all to conform to a
> specific set of rules. Let the browsers and their users decide
> what the standards are.

To which I replied:

How do you expect webmasters to cope with coding? We have enough
anarchy as it is with Forums and Newsgroups being set up just to
handle the browsers in existence and some would say we are being
held back because one particular browser isn't playing by the
rules.

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Whitecrest

In article <Xns94655B480FF1Fnews4kayode@130.133.1.4>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> How do you expect webmasters to cope with coding?

> > The exact same way we do now.

> Nice trimming...but just for the record: you said:
> > I personally would rather have the browsers fighting it out.
> > Each trying to out-do the other with features, pushing the web
> > ahead, rather than trying to get them all to conform to a
> > specific set of rules. Let the browsers and their users decide
> > what the standards are.

> To which I replied:
> How do you expect webmasters to cope with coding? We have enough
> anarchy as it is with Forums and Newsgroups being set up just to
> handle the browsers in existence and some would say we are being
> held back because one particular browser isn't playing by the
> rules.

To which I replied: "The exact same way we do now". I saw no need to
quote the entire paragraph, My reply is no different with it or with out
it.

I don't consider the need for you have to make choices about what
browser features you will and will not support, anarchy. You make these
choices every day right now because NONE of the browsers support W3c
100%. The features you have today (including CSS and javascript), are
because the browser makers were trying to out do each other with
features and tags, many of which are now part of what we use today.

So I say we let the browser makers throw new stuff at us, and let the
users decide what is good and what is bad.

Hmmm, the exact same way we do now....

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Bob

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 07:25:45 -0500, Whitecrest <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>So I say we let the browser makers throw new stuff at us, and let the
>users decide what is good and what is bad.
>
>Hmmm, the exact same way we do now....

No, no, no... we need a stuffy committee of academian geeks deciding
what's best for us!

Toby A Inkster

Bob wrote:

> No, no, no... we need a stuffy committee of academian geeks deciding
> what's best for us!

My point earlier though is that that's not what the W3C is.

The W3C is made up primarily of representatives of companies with a vested
interest in the development of the Web. Its most vocal contributors are
usually those affiliated with browser makers.

For instance Hakom Wium Lie who was the driving force behind CSS1 and CSS2
is the CTO of Opera ASA; Tantek Celik, a major contributor to CSS3 was
lead developer of Internet Explorer for Mac.

Adobe, AOL, BEA Systems, Canon, Corel, Ericsson, HP, IBM, Intel,
Macromedia, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, Panasonic, Phillips, RealNetworks
Sun... the employers of the authors and editors of W3C recommendations
read like a veritable Who's Who of the technology industry. All have
decided that the best way forward for the Web is through interoperable
standards. But obviously Whitecrest knows better than them.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> All have
> decided that the best way forward for the Web is through interoperable
> standards. But obviously Whitecrest knows better than them.

Yet, they all do other wise on their sites, and with the browsers some
of them create... NONE of their pages validate, and none of the
browsers are 100% compatible with everything the w3c deem proper.

Hmm... Maybe they are not that serious about it, or maybe they are just
pushing what they think is important, and they are going to do it no
matter what the w3c decides is right. As a matter of fact, I seem to
remember reading some statistics in this forum about w3c members and if
their web sites validated or not. I recall the number was around 90%
did not validate.

Doesn't seem to me that they are all that dedicated to the cause. The
browsers makers are offering what ever they can, and the users are
deciding what they want.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com