Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Line after or before a word

Line after or before a word

Luigi Donatello Asero

How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?
By <hr>?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

brucie

in post <newsSnHb.39949$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

> How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?

do you mean something like ---- word ---- ?

span{text-decoration:line-through;}

--
brucie
28/December/2003 08:42:42 am kilo

Luigi Donatello Asero

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
news:bsl2kh$e0tb1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <newsSnHb.39949$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Luigi Donatello Asero said:
>
> > How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?

> do you mean something like ---- word ---- ?
>
> span{text-decoration:line-through;}

&nbsp;</span></p>

> --
> brucie
> 28/December/2003 08:42:42 am kilo

I mean a line without spaces something like the lines on the page
http://www.cilea.it/WWW-map/NIR-map.html
Also I wonder whether and how I can set the inclination of the line

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

Jukka K. Korpela

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I mean a line without spaces something like the lines on the page
> http://www.cilea.it/WWW-map/NIR-map.html

The lines are part of the image. You use an image processing program to
add text and lines into an image.

(It would be possible, with the usual caveats, to create horizontal and
vertical lines using CSS and position them on the image. But that would
be unreliable and very clumsy as compared with the simple use of image
processing software.)

Hopefully you will create something more sensible than the image map
on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
problems. Luckily there are links to alternatives that contain the
information as lists of links. An image map should always be
accompanied with such a list, especially since popular browsers
effectively fail to implement client-side image maps when the image is
not available, i.e. they don't make the areas available with their alt
texts.

And in that particular image map, lack of alt texts is essential when
the image is displayed, too. In many parts the server density is so
high that it is impossible to say which square corresponds to which
city unless you know Italian geography well. Well, there's the status
line, where the URL might help. But it's a poor surrogate for an
appropriate alt text.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

brucie

in post <news:MDoHb.39952$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

>>> How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?

>> do you mean something like ---- word ---- ?
>>
>> span{text-decoration:line-through;}

> &nbsp;</span></p>

> I mean a line without spaces something like the lines on the page
> http://www.cilea.it/WWW-map/NIR-map.html

i don't see any lines on that page except under the links

> Also I wonder whether and how I can set the inclination of the line

use an image

--
brucie
28/December/2003 09:58:33 am kilo

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Xns945F140065A28jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I mean a line without spaces something like the lines on the page
> > http://www.cilea.it/WWW-map/NIR-map.html

> The lines are part of the image. You use an image processing program to
> add text and lines into an image.
>
> (It would be possible, with the usual caveats, to create horizontal and
> vertical lines using CSS and position them on the image. But that would
> be unreliable and very clumsy as compared with the simple use of image
> processing software.)
>
> Hopefully you will create something more sensible than the image map
> on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
> problems.

Well, that page was still number one when I looked for "map of Italy" at
www.google.com !

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

brucie

in post <news:ccpHb.39955$(E-Mail Removed)>

it doesn't mean **** if PEOPLE cant use it but it doesn't matter its
NUMBER ONE ON GOOGLE. for **** sake.

--
brucie
28/December/2003 10:11:47 am kilo

Luigi Donatello Asero

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
news:bsl78t$dss1g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <news:ccpHb.39955$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Luigi Donatello Asero said:
>
> >> Hopefully you will create something more sensible than the image map
> >> on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
> >> problems.

> > Well, that page was still number one when I looked for "map of Italy"

at
> > www.google.com !

> it doesn't mean **** if PEOPLE cant use it but it doesn't matter its
> NUMBER ONE ON GOOGLE. for **** sake.

Why do you shout ( capital letters)?
My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into account
when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the number of
visitors of the site?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

brucie

in post <news:zmpHb.43861$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

>>> Well, that page was still number one when I looked for "map of Italy"
>>> at www.google.com !

>> it doesn't mean **** if PEOPLE cant use it but it doesn't matter its
>> NUMBER ONE ON GOOGLE. for **** sake.

> Why do you shout ( capital letters)?

there was a really good song on the radio and i had it up really loud.

> My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into account
> when it ranks it on the top

google is not human. it wouldn't know a good/bad site if it bit it on
its bum. it guesses.

> or only other things like perhaps the number of visitors of the site?

google has no way of knowing how many visitors a site gets unless
they're from links on its own pages that its tracking and then its still
a guess.

--
brucie
28/December/2003 10:22:10 am kilo

Jan Faerber

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:21:51 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into
> account
> when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the number
> of
> visitors of the site?
>
> --
> Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

Yes, but your subject was "Line after or before a word".

Jan