Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Website Redesign: Third Column being dropped

Website Redesign: Third Column being dropped

kayodeok

Would someone mind looking at this with a fresh eye and spot what I
may have done wrong?

http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk

Was originally done using tabular layout but I have never found the
time to redo the site properly except now during the christmas
break (the site hasn't had a real update in around 6 months
anyway).

Old Layout: http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk

New Layout: http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/test/winres/
New Stylesheet:
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/style/testresource_ver2.css

This is still a work-in-progress but all the major browsers:
Firebird 0.7, Opera 7.23, IE6 and screen captures of Konqueror and
Safari 1.1 show that the third column is being dropped.

(I have shown a red outline around the relevant divs in order to
show that there is sufficient margin).

Obviously, I missed something in my stylesheet but I am unable to
spot it. I have validated both the HTML and CSS and there appears
not be nothing wrong but I know I must have done something wrong if
all my test browsers report the same error.

Would someone mind pointing out what I may have done wrong? What I
am trying to achieve is to have the three columns with red outlines
floated together (I hope I have explained it right?)

PS: I know the design is currently ugly, my focus is getting the
three main columns together using Float.

PPS: Most of the Navigation Links will not work unless it leads to
an external site - this is by design.

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Duende

While sitting in a puddle kayodeok scribbled in the mud:

> Would someone mind looking at this with a fresh eye and spot what I
> may have done wrong?
>
> http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk

You missed the part about how to make your windows-xp explorer settings
stay where you set it. I set it to view List but it keeps going to Tiles or
Thumbnails.

--
Duende
The best defense against logic is ignorance.

kayodeok

Duende <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> While sitting in a puddle kayodeok scribbled in the mud:
>
>> Would someone mind looking at this with a fresh eye and spot
>> what I may have done wrong?
>>
>> http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk
>>

> You missed the part about how to make your windows-xp explorer
> settings stay where you set it. I set it to view List but it
> keeps going to Tiles or Thumbnails.

Would you mind explaining what you mean? There shouldn't be anything
on my old site that affects your browser operation.

The old site isn't the one I want checked; the site I want checked is

http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/test/winres/
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/style/testresource_ver2.css

I am redesigning the old website and I am having problems with the
third float dropping.

If I wasn't clear in my original post, then I apologise.

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk.../webdesign.htm

kayodeok

Duende <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> You missed the part about how to make your windows-xp explorer
> settings stay where you set it. I set it to view List but it
> keeps going to Tiles or Thumbnails.

I think I get you now...but it is off topic for this group:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wi...%3A*windowsxp*

Specifically:
Windows changing View setting on its own?
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp03

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk.../webdesign.htm

Duende

While sitting in a puddle kayodeok scribbled in the mud:

> Duende <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> You missed the part about how to make your windows-xp explorer
>> settings stay where you set it. I set it to view List but it
>> keeps going to Tiles or Thumbnails.

> I think I get you now...but it is off topic for this group:

Yup, you got me. I think bitching about Windows is on topic in any
group. )

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wi...g+tiles+view++
> list+group%3A*windowsxp*
>
> Specifically:
> Windows changing View setting on its own?
> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...6%40tkmsftngp0
> 3

Thanks for the links. Maybe I can get this dumb computer so it doesn't
keep ****ing me off.

Now about the problem with Word..........

--
Duende
The best defense against logic is ignorance.

Leif K-Brooks

Duende wrote:
> I think bitching about Windows is on topic in any group. )

Only in alt.switch-to.linux.

kayodeok

kayodeok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Would someone mind looking at this with a fresh eye and spot
> what I may have done wrong?

I managed to solve this one myself:

I got the order of the divs wrong in my markup; it should have
been:

But I ordered the divs as:

I had to strip all my markup and content to the bare minimum to see
my error:

http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/test/winre..._20031229.html

(the red highlighting is for debugging only)

Thanks to everyone who took a look at the original layout; I shall
be removing it from the site in due course.