Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > online IE viewer?

online IE viewer?

Richard

>>> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

>> yes

> Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's
> *actually* displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that
> browser? --

The screenshot of one my samples shows me how screwed it up it really is
rather nicely.
http://1-large-world.com/samples/submit.html
First view it in your browser, then go get a screenshot of it.
Now I understand what brucie was so hyper about.

kchayka

Michael Wilcox wrote:
> brucie <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote:
>>> and
>>> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

>> yes

> Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's *actually*
> displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?

It can only show what the page looks like at one combination of
environmental variables. It can't tell you how it reacts to changes in
those variables, whether JS works or not, or help debug rendering issues.

Case in point: I stumbled upon some broken MacIE overflow behavior on
one page that didn't reveal itself until the window was less than 700px
wide. A single screenshot from the above site wouldn't have shown that.

--
To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
address is considered spam and automatically deleted.

brucie

in post <news:YZ6Hb.11003$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net>
Michael Wilcox said:

>>> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

>> yes

> Please tell me you're kidding.

i'm am not

> A screenshot from a browser that's *actually* displaying the page
> *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?

it is misleading at best.

i find it strange that people are willing to accept that their page
works from viewing a single screencap from a script but if someone
posted a screencap of their page and asked people to see if their page
worked they would get their panties flamed off.

--
brucie
27/December/2003 05:26:20 pm kilo

rf

"Michael Wilcox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YZ6Hb.11003$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> brucie <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote:
> >> and
> >> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

> > yes

> Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's

*actually*
> displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?

In that browser yes *but* with a specific canvas size and a specific font
size and a specific set of all sorts of other user settings.

I have seen sites submitted here for review which fall apart completely at
the spin of a Ctrl mousewheel.

The only way to test a site in a specific browser is to download that
browser and fiddle about. However I guess one alternative is to ask here.
Most people will be kind enough to explain the sites shortcomings

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

Richard wrote:

> What's wrong with just downloading the free IE?

Free IE? Last I checked, IE was "part of Windows" according to Microsoft,
and you certainly can't download Windows free (and legally).

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Not in my trousers

"Michael Wilcox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YZ6Hb.11003$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> brucie <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote:
> >> and
> >> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

> > yes

> Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's

*actually*
> displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?

OK .. Here's the rub...

Just because your page 'looks' ok doesn't mean it works properly...

How can you tell that mouse-overs and image alt tags are working?
What about all the irritating sounds and animations ?
What about Z-Index ? -- IE for mac displays correctly but doesn't allow
mouse-over.

How do you really know what browser settings are in use.. I may have IE6
installed but I bet my security and script settings are different to yours..
Don't you want to test what happens to your java menus when I have java
turned off?

The only real way to test your page is to actually test it yourself by
actually installing different browsers and any webdesigner worth his salt
would do this as a final test... Surely if you were making chocolate
cookies, wouldn't you taste one yourself before you let anyone else have
any??

BTW - I don't condone the over-use of java, z-index , sound , animation etc
.... I just put these as examples...

.... Rob ...

brucie

in post <news:3fed8543_5@127.0.0.1>
Not in my trousers said:

> Surely if you were making chocolate cookies, wouldn't you taste one
> yourself before you let anyone else have any??

no, i know what i put in them (mostly)

--
brucie
27/December/2003 11:25:12 pm kilo

rf may have written:

> The only way to test a site in a specific browser is to download that
> browser and fiddle about. However I guess one alternative is to ask here.
> Most people will be kind enough to explain the sites shortcomings

I've run into the problem because I've formatted out the last visages of
Windows from my HDs. Except for this test, I don't miss it at all.
I havn't investigated Wine thoroughly yet. Does anyone know whether IE
would run well under that?
--
Cheers, m

Leif K-Brooks

m wrote:
> I havn't investigated Wine thoroughly yet. Does anyone know whether IE
> would run well under that?

I've heard of people who've gotten it to work, but I haven't been able
to yet. If you manage it, please let me know.

Toby A Inkster

m wrote:

> I havn't investigated Wine thoroughly yet. Does anyone know whether IE
> would run well under that?

Depends on the version. IE 2 and 3 should install and run easily, although
I'm not sure how keen you'd be in running them. IE 4 and 5 will run, but
generally require a bit of tinkering (for example, grabbing some DLLs from
a real Windows box). I've not heard of IE 6 running under Wine, but they
are making advances every day.

Other options to investigate: Codeweavers Crossover Office, VMWare, Plex86
and Bochs. Of these Bochs and VMWare are your two best bets reliability
wise, although VMWare is quite pricey and Bochs is pretty slow.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS