Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE conditional comments not quite working

IE conditional comments not quite working

delerious@no.spam.com

I've managed to find a computer with just IE 5.0 on it, so I'm trying to test
out my conditional comments. They're not quite working.

The browser version number is 5.00.2614.3500

Here are the conditional comments I have tried, and whether or not they work:

<!--[if IE 5]> this one should work, and it does work
<!--[if IE 5.0]> this one should work, but it does NOT work
<!--[if IE 5.0026143500]> this one should work, but it does NOT work
<!--[if IE 5.2]> this one should NOT work, but it DOES work

It looks like IE is ignoring the zeros after the 5, so that is why the check
for 5.2 works. Does this mean that if there is a build of IE 5.0 with version
number 5.00.5321.5900, then that build of IE 5.0 will pass a check for 5.5?

I have some HTML that must be displayed for IE 5.0 and not IE 5.5. So I
cannot use the <!--[if IE 5]> check.

Any ideas?

brucie

in post <news:(E-Mail Removed) m>

> I've managed to find a computer with just IE 5.0 on it, so I'm trying to test
> out my conditional comments.

you're really obsessing about particular browsers. stop it, its not
healthy.

--
brucie
26/December/2003 06:12:55 pm kilo

Richard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I've managed to find a computer with just IE 5.0 on it, so I'm trying to
> test out my conditional comments. They're not quite working.

Forget checking for browser and even more so the version.
What you need to do is check to see if the browser accepts the function or
not.
e.g.
if {document.images}

If it works, the function continues to load the images.
If not, the visitor suffers and waits.

Do you realize how many browsers there are and how many versions of each
one?
So you check your stats and you find 90% of your visitors using a browser
you never heard of.
Whatchya gonna do now?

Not to mention all that testing you need to do to find out if it works right
or not.

Leif K-Brooks

Richard wrote:
> if {document.images}

You do know that curly brackets are entirely invalid wrong there, right?

brucie

in post <news:cOXGb.114$(E-Mail Removed)>
Leif K-Brooks said:

>> if {document.images}

> You do know that curly brackets are entirely invalid wrong there,
> right?

but they look pretty

--
brucie
27/December/2003 10:58:49 am kilo

Richard

brucie wrote:

> in post <news:cOXGb.114$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Leif K-Brooks said:

>>> if {document.images}

>> You do know that curly brackets are entirely invalid wrong there,
>> right?

> but they look pretty

Yeah. they look better.
Of course I know it should be [document .images].
Ok. Would you believe ( )?

> --
> brucie
> 27/December/2003 10:58:49 am kilo

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:43:20 GMT, Leif K-Brooks
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Richard wrote:
>> if {document.images}

>You do know that curly brackets are entirely invalid wrong there, right?

They're not _entirely_ invalid, just mis-used.

"Conditional comments" though are just another bizarre cargo cult from
M$oft. Square brackets [ ] have no meaning inside a comment and
pretending that they do (even if you happen to be His Satanic Billness
himself) will just end in frustration (although if you're HSB, it's
usually the others who get frustrated).

--
Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.