Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE 6 can't display this page. why?

IE 6 can't display this page. why?

crispy

Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?

The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm

The rest of the site:
http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/

William Tasso

crispy <> wrote:
> Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
> disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
>
> The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm

doesn't here - try it without javascript.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

DU

crispy <> wrote:

> Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
> disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
>
> The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
>
> The rest of the site:
> http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/

function P7_Scrub(obj) { //v1.0 by PVII
if(obj.blur){obj.blur();}
}
//-->
</script>

onFocus="P7_Scrub(this)">

Can you explain the purpose of the function P7_Scrub which is registered
to the body node? If you're wondering why the page suddenly disappears,
then I think you should first explain the purpose, relevancy, reason for
the P7_Scrub function.

DU

rf

"crispy <>" <polaatx@ REMOVE THIS yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
> disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
>
> The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm

They're trying to prevent you from right clicking on the page to steal their
source code.

Seriously, there is so much javascript in that page that I don't think
anybody could be bothered working out why it is broken.

Cheers
Richard.

crispy

DU:

The scrub script Selectively Scrubs away those pesky focus lines
around clicked links in IE4 plus and NN6 browsers.

The DW extension can be found here:
http://www.projectseven.com/extensions/index.htm

It turns out the Scrub script is what is causing the error in my
pages.

Here's a page does not have the script:
http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm

Here's the same page still with the scrub script:
http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
On my machine (IE 6, win xp pro, javascript on) the browser
immediately collapses and won't restore.

Thanks for your help.

crispy

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:47:56 -0500, DU <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>crispy <> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
>> disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
>>
>> The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
>>
>> The rest of the site:
>> http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/
>>

>function P7_Scrub(obj) { //v1.0 by PVII
> if(obj.blur){obj.blur();}
>}
>//-->
></script>

>onFocus="P7_Scrub(this)">
>
>Can you explain the purpose of the function P7_Scrub which is registered
>to the body node? If you're wondering why the page suddenly disappears,
>then I think you should first explain the purpose, relevancy, reason for
>the P7_Scrub function.
>
>DU

DU

crispy <> wrote:

> DU:
>
> The scrub script Selectively Scrubs away those pesky focus lines
> around clicked links in IE4 plus

then why not use MSIE's proprietary hideFocus attribute?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a.../hidefocus.asp

and NN6 browsers.

For recent Mozilla-based browsers, using
user_pref("browser.display.focus_ring_on_anything" , false);
in a user.js file was a possibility.
Or for Mozilla, Safari 1.x and Opera 7.x
a:active {-moz-outline:0px none; outline:0px none;}
// not tested but should work

Anyway, what's so pesky about focus lines? A majority of users like to
figure out which element was last selected or active

> The DW extension can be found here:
> http://www.projectseven.com/extensions/index.htm
>
> It turns out the Scrub script is what is causing the error in my
> pages.

Are you actually saying that DreamWeaver has flaws, weaknesses and that
it will never be any better than the competence of its user?

> Here's a page does not have the script:
> http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
>
> Here's the same page still with the scrub script:
> http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
> On my machine (IE 6, win xp pro, javascript on) the browser
> immediately collapses and won't restore.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> crispy

One last thing, crispy. Could you bottom-post your reply next time?
Bottom-posting makes posts in thread easier to read for everyone. Thanks.

DU

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:47:56 -0500, DU <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>crispy <> wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
>>>disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
>>>
>>>The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
>>>
>>>The rest of the site:
>>>http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/
>>>

>>function P7_Scrub(obj) { //v1.0 by PVII
>> if(obj.blur){obj.blur();}
>>}
>>//-->
>></script>

>>onFocus="P7_Scrub(this)">
>>
>>Can you explain the purpose of the function P7_Scrub which is registered
>>to the body node? If you're wondering why the page suddenly disappears,
>>then I think you should first explain the purpose, relevancy, reason for
>>the P7_Scrub function.
>>
>>DU

Andrew Glasgow

In article <OxrGb.64573$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "crispy <>" <polaatx@ REMOVE THIS yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
> > disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
> >
> > The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm

> They're trying to prevent you from right clicking on the page to steal their
> source code.
>
> Seriously, there is so much javascript in that page that I don't think
> anybody could be bothered working out why it is broken.

OOh ooh I know! It's broken because there's so much javascript.

HTH, HAND.

--
| Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
| "The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound. |

Andrew Glasgow

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"crispy <>" <polaatx@ REMOVE THIS yahoo.com> wrote:

> DU:
>
> The scrub script Selectively Scrubs away those pesky focus lines
> around clicked links in IE4 plus and NN6 browsers.
>
> The DW extension can be found here:
> http://www.projectseven.com/extensions/index.htm
>
> It turns out the Scrub script is what is causing the error in my
> pages.
>
> Here's a page does not have the script:
> http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
>
> Here's the same page still with the scrub script:
> http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
> On my machine (IE 6, win xp pro, javascript on) the browser
> immediately collapses and won't restore.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> crispy

Removing focus lines is annoying to those who like to use keyboard
tabbing to get around websites. Those who have difficulty using a mouse
have little choice, and unless I miss my guess this will make it
impossible for them to select that link by tabbing (every time they tab
to the link it will unfocus it). Even those who are proficient with
mice sometimes use tabbing to go through a document, as moving hands
from the keyboard to the mouse is often much slower than hitting tab a
couple times.

--
| Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
| "It's 106 light-years to Chicago, we've got a full chamber of anti-matter, |

rf

"crispy <>" <polaatx@ REMOVE THIS yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DU:
>
> The scrub script Selectively Scrubs away those pesky focus lines
> around clicked links in IE4 plus and NN6 browsers.

Those "pesky focus lines" are *essential* for somebody who uses a keyboard
for navigation, for example somebody who is disabled in such a manner that
they cannot use a mouse.

Removing the focus lines makes your site unusable for such people.

Chers
Richard.

crispy

Many thanks to all the replies.

You convinced me that scrubing the "pesky" lines around the links is
not a good idea.

I really appreciate the importance this group puts in usability over
aestethics.

crispy