Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Better way to mark this up?

Better way to mark this up?

Jay

I'm looking for some opinions.

On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm I am listing parent centers
within that specific region. Currently I am using the <p> tag to separate
each one with <br> for line breaks. Since this is a _list_ of parent centers
is there a better way to mark this up? I was thinking about the <ul> tag but
not sure how I would implement it.

What do you think?

Thanks,

- J

brucie

in post <newskiGb.31434$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jay said:

> I'm looking for some opinions.
> On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm

does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
somewhat excited about it?

> I am listing parent centers within that specific region. Currently I
> am using the <p> tag to separate each one with <br> for line breaks.
> I was thinking about the <ul> tag but not sure how I would implement it.

<ul>
Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
338 Main Street<br>
Niantic, CT 06357<br>
860-739-3089 Voice &amp; TDD<br>
860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
Web Site: <a href="http://www.cpacinc.org">www.cpacinc.org</a>

Maine Parent Federation<br>
P.O. Box 2067<br>
Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
207-623-2144<br>
207-623-2148 FAX<br>
1-800-870-7746<br>
Web Site: <a href="http://www.mpf.org">www.mpf.org</a>

</ul>

also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some browsers
don't like empty <a>s.

--
brucie
25/December/2003 01:38:37 am kilo

Jay

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:bscdk9$botmk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <newskiGb.31434$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Jay said:
>
> > I'm looking for some opinions.
> > On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm

> does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
> somewhat excited about it?

What is his 'roo'?

> > I am listing parent centers within that specific region. Currently I
> > am using the <p> tag to separate each one with <br> for line breaks.
> > I was thinking about the <ul> tag but not sure how I would implement it.

> <ul>
> Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
> 338 Main Street<br>
> Niantic, CT 06357<br>
> 860-739-3089 Voice &amp; TDD<br>
> 860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
> 1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
> Web Site: <a href="http://www.cpacinc.org">www.cpacinc.org</a>

> Maine Parent Federation<br>
> P.O. Box 2067<br>
> Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
> 207-623-2144<br>
> 207-623-2148 FAX<br>
> 1-800-870-7746<br>
> Web Site: <a href="http://www.mpf.org">www.mpf.org</a>

> </ul>
>
> also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some browsers
> don't like empty <a>s.

Would it work if I did it as <li id="ME">?

- J

brucie

in post <news:lWiGb.32755$(E-Mail Removed)>

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.jpg

>> also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some browsers
>> don't like empty <a>s.

> Would it work if I did it as <li id="ME">?

no, some browsers don't like IDs.

--
brucie
25/December/2003 02:15:09 am kilo

PeterMcC

Jay wrote:
> I'm looking for some opinions.
>
> On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm I am listing parent
> centers within that specific region. Currently I am using the <p> tag
> to separate each one with <br> for line breaks. Since this is a
> _list_ of parent centers is there a better way to mark this up? I was
> thinking about the <ul> tag but not sure how I would implement it.

I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then adjust line
spacing etc with CSS

<DL>
<DT>
Connecticut
</DT>
<DD>Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
338 Main Street<br>
Niantic, CT 06357<br>
860-739-3089 Voice & TDD<br>
860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
E-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <br>
Web Site: www.cpacinc.org
</DD>
<DT>
Maine
</DT>
<DD>Maine Parent Federation<br>
P.O. Box 2067<br>
Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
207-623-2144<br>
207-623-2148 FAX<br>
1-800-870-7746<br>
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed) <br>
Web Site: www.mpf.org
</DD>
</DL>

HTH

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Jay

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:bsceb9$bnego$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <news:lWiGb.32755$(E-Mail Removed)>

> >> does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
> >> somewhat excited about it?

> > What is his 'roo'?

> http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.jpg

lol...nice

> >> also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some

browsers
> >> don't like empty <a>s.

> > Would it work if I did it as <li id="ME">?

> no, some browsers don't like IDs.

Thanks Brucie! Yer always a big help!

- J

Jukka K. Korpela

"PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
> logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then
> adjust line spacing etc with CSS
>
> <DL>
> <DT>
> Connecticut

Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

And if you've decided to use DL, you will find yourself somewhat
confused with the oddities in browsers - they might even refuse to
apply your styles to the DT elements.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

rf

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:bscdk9$botmk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <newskiGb.31434$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Jay said:
>
> > I'm looking for some opinions.
> > On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm

> does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
> somewhat excited about it?

What? Where...?

Oh, I see. Well, Long Island didn't look like that last thime *I* was there

Cheers
Richard.

PeterMcC

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> "PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
>> logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then
>> adjust line spacing etc with CSS
>>
>> <DL>
>> <DT>
>> Connecticut

> Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
> for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
> uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

We could argue as to whether, under a heading of "Region 1 Parent Centers",
what is implied by "Connecticut" as a defined term is "[The Region 1 Parent
Center in ]Connecticut" and its contact details are given as the
definition - but blow that for a lark, have a good festive season, Jukka -
and everyone else too - though I wouldn't want to force that on anyone,
brucie

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Luigi Donatello Asero

"PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:F5BGb.5093$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> > "PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
> >> logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then
> >> adjust line spacing etc with CSS
> >>
> >> <DL>
> >> <DT>
> >> Connecticut

> > Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
> > for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
> > uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

> We could argue as to whether, under a heading of "Region 1 Parent

Centers",
> what is implied by "Connecticut" as a defined term is "[The Region 1

Parent
> Center in ]Connecticut" and its contact details are given as the
> definition - but blow that for a lark, have a good festive season, Jukka -
> and everyone else too - though I wouldn't want to force that on anyone,
> brucie

A good festive season to you too.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)